So, Shark vs Dyson: which one is the best vacuum cleaner brand on the market?
In this article, you’ll discover:
- My comparisons of the best Shark and Dyson vacuums
- Their classifications by type, by features, and by usage
- A bonus chapter
Let’s get started!
Comparison by Type
In this chapter, I’ll compare each different types of vacuum cleaners and focus on the most popular Shark and Dyson models for each category.
Shark vs Dyson Upright Vacuums
When it comes to popularity, upright vacuums dominate the market.
The motor and bag or canister are above the head of the vacuum, and there’s no need to use a hose to reach the floor.
The best part? Upright vacuums are perfect for wide areas and floors that need frequent cleaning, since using them is hassle-free.
Besides, they’re easy to store and use.
For my comparison, I choose the Shark Navigator Upright Vacuum and the Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Ball Multi Floor 2, because these are the most popular upright models of each brand.
|Product||Shark Navigator||Dyson Ball|
|Dimensions||15 x 11.4 x 45.5 inches||15.6 x 13.4 x 41.9 inches
|Weight||8.7 pounds||15.6 pounds
|Cord Length||30 feet||31 feet
|Floor compatibility||low-pile, Hard floors, high-pile carpet||low-pile, Hard floors, high-pile carpet|
|Bin capacity||1.1 quarts||42 gallons|
|Suction Power||10 amps||10 amps|
|Noise level||71-79 dB||72-78 dB|
|Warranty||5 years||5 years|
|Technology||Anti Allergen Complete Seal Technology|
XL capacity dust cup
|Radial Root Cyclone™ technology|
The Shark Navigator may look like a standard upright vacuum cleaner, but it has some pretty outstanding features.
So, I recommend the Shark Navigator if you’re looking for the following features:
- You don’t want to buy dusty bags – thanks to its reusable and removable canister, it’s possible
- You have allergies: its anti-allergy technology will trap allergens.
- You want to clean both hard floors and carpeted floors
- You’re looking for an affordable option.
The Dyson Ball comes with a bunch of excellent features, which makes it one of the most popular machines in the Dyson family.
So you should invest in this cleaning machine if:
- You have children or pets: due to its top suction, it makes it ideal for dust, dirt, and pet hair.
- You have unreachable areas to clean: its detachable wand cleans small to hard to reach surfaces.
- You have several types of floors: the self-adjusting head adapts to the correct height for whatever surface.
Shark vs Dyson Canister Vacuums
So, while canister vacuum cleaners may be bulky, they’re great for getting the floors extra clean. They’re also perfect for deep cleaning your home.
But here’s the kicker:
Shark has pretty much discontinued making canister vacuums.
So, for the comparison, I’ll just look at the specs of the most popular Dyson canister vacuum cleaner.
It’s called the Dyson Ball Multi Floor Canister.
Based on the user’s experience, you’ll like:
- The possibility to clean underneath your furniture without moving your whole house or to break you back thanks to its design.
- The 21 feet cord length: Unlike other models, a reviewer enjoys not having this pain to plug and unplug the vacuum again and again.
- The pushdown button: due to this feature, someone says that it doesn’t need anymore to use a knife to remove debris from the canister. Besides she doesn’t have to empty it often.
- The 5-year warranty is just wonderful.
Besides, you’ll find:
- Turbine head that’s controlled at the handle, so you don’t have to bend all over the place to reach corners and around furniture.
- Large bin capacity – more than half a gallon.
- 280 AW suction power.
- Size: 11 x 11.7 x 13.2 inches
- Weight: 20 pounds
- HEPA filter.
- Two attachments included (for stairs and carpets).
if you’re in the market for a sturdy and reliable canister vacuum cleaner, this is the best choice.
Other Dyson canister vacuums exist though, such as:
- Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Animal Canister Vacuum
- Dyson DC39 Multi floor canister vacuum cleaner
- Dyson Cinetic Animal Canister Vacuum
- Dyson DC39 Ball Multifloor Pro Canister Vacuum
- Dyson Big Ball Animal+ Canister Vacuum
- Dyson Big Ball Musclehead Canister Vacuum
Shark vs Dyson Stick Vacuums
This is because stick vacuum cleaners are small and portable you can store them in small places. They’re also great for frequent cleaning since they’re super easy to take out and put away.
And you know what? They come in cordless models, too.
So, which stick vacuum is the best?
Two of the top competitors are the Shark Rocket Pet Pro with Self-Cleaning Brushroll and the Dyson V6 Cord-free Stick Vacuum Cleaner.
I have compared these two cordless stick vacuum cleaners and here are their main characteristics.
The Shark Rocket Pet Pro has powerful cleaning capabilities, even though it runs without a cord.
This is why I recommend you to buy it if you’re looking for:
- A vacuum cleaner that can both clean hard floors and carpets, with optimal cleaning settings for each type of flooring.
- A high autonomy: according to a reviewer, you can use it for 20 minutes of continuous use (about 800 sq ft) and you’ll still have 2 bars left.
- A versatile cleaning machine: this model has a handheld mode for cleaning furniture or cars.
- A pet vacuum cleaner (but not only) because its beater brush can pick up long and pet hair.
But what about the top offering from Dyson?
The Dyson V6 is another top competitor when it comes to cordless stick vacuum cleaners.
If you’re looking for the following features, then I suggest you invest in it:
- You need to use a vacuum every day: this vacuum is extremely lightweight and easy to store.
- You need to clean small areas: it provides 20 minutes of continuous high-power suction.
- You have carpets: it has special nylon bristles for cleaning dirt, hair, and dander from carpets.
- You want easy maintenance: it has a practical washable lifetime filter; no need to restock bags or worry about replacing the filter.
To conclude, a buyer says that he found it so nice, that he bought it twice.
Shark vs Dyson Handheld Vacuums
They’re suitable for tidying up small everyday messes without the hassle of getting out a bigger vacuum cleaner or the broom and dustpan.
Plus, handheld vacuum cleaners are cordless, which makes them especially easy to use.
For this comparison, I choose the Shark Cordless Pet Perfect and the Dyson V6 Trigger.
But what makes the top Shark handheld vacuum cleaner so exceptional?
The Shark Cordless Pet Perfect is a good investment if:
- You own a car: it’s a practical vacuum for weekly car cleanings.
- Moreover, a user recommends turning it off so that you can enjoy using the machine to vacuum your whole car.
- You’re looking for a small but reliable cleaning machine
- You need a versatile vacuum to clean all surfaces.
- You want a portable appliance: this one is exceptionally lightweight for extra low hassle cleaning.
Next, I’ll show you the features of the Dyson V6 Trigger, which is the top of Dyson’s line of handheld vacuum cleaners.
The Dyson V6 Trigger is your best choice if:
- You want a functional autonomy: with this small appliance, you’ll get 20 minutes of continuous cleaning for one battery charge.
- You are searching for an exceptional car vacuum: it excels at cleaning the floors and upholstery in cars.
- You wish a powerful vacuum: this one triples the suction power of other handheld vacuum cleaners on the market.
If you consider that 20 minutes are not enough, someone shares that he hasn’t come yet to that situation where it wasn’t enough.
Shark Vs Dyson Robotic Vacuums
The best part about robotic vacuums is that you don’t have to operate it: you just set it up and let it automatically clean your home.
Robotic vacuum cleaners are practical if you aren’t home or don’t have time to vacuum the floors as often as you’d like.
My top 2 of this category are Shark ION and Dyson 360 Eye.
Also, the Shark ION Robot Vacuum WIFI-Connected is perfect if:
- You are a big fan of voice control through Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant because it’s compatible
- You want a smart appliance: this one has auto-sense navigation, so it avoids stairs, ledges, and other obstacles.
- You would like to connect Wi-Fi and schedule the cleaning
- You look for long-lasting battery life so it doesn’t stop halfway through a job.
If you want a powerful robot vacuum that does the job while you’re away, this one is just perfect.
And how about the top robotic vacuum cleaner from Dyson?
The Dyson 360 Eye Robot Vacuum is a wonderful cleaning appliance if you:
- You are tired of robot vacuum that clean several times the same place: this vacuum includes a 360 Eye vision system (hence it’s named) allowing a cleaning pattern to remember where it has been or not
- You are seeking for an impressive suction power: this robotic appliance has twice the suction of other competitive vacuums
- You want to clean in corners and under furniture: the side brushes will do it.
So, I’ve looked at all the different types of vacuum cleaner according to their type.
Now, I’ll compare the top offerings from Shark and Dyson based on their features.
Comparison by features
Whatever features you’re looking for in a vacuum cleaner, you’ll be able to compare all of the top options in the next chapter.
Shark vs Dyson Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
This is a considerable advantage for everyday cleaning since it’s easy to take out and put away a cordless vacuum cleaner.
It’s also an excellent option for homes that are larger but only require frequent cleaning in specific areas, like rugs or high traffic areas in the home.
You can clean large particles and most everyday dust and grime with a cordless vacuum cleaner.
For the top offerings from Shark and Dyson for cordless vacuum cleaners, my choice fell on the Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean and Dyson V11 Torque Drive.
The best cordless vacuum cleaner from Shark is the Shark IONFlex 2X DuoClean.
This vacuum cleaner is a nice choice if:
- You care about autonomy: this one has 40 minutes of cleaning time on one battery charge plus 2 batteries plus a charging dock. So you don’t have to wait for batteries to charge to continue cleaning: just swap them out.
- You need small storage: you can store this upright device in a compact position.
- You desire a multipurpose tool: its attachments make it easier to clean stairs, corners, upholstery, and pet hair.
In comparison, the top cordless vacuum cleaner offering from Dyson is the Dyson V11 Torque Drive.
- You need HUGE autonomy: this appliance has up to 60 minutes of cleaning time on one charge
- You like technology: its LCD countdown timer lets you know how long your charge will last while you’re cleaning.
- Besides, its intelligent cleaning modes give you the flexibility to adapt to specific cleaning needs.
- You like secure storage: the docking system both stores and charges the vacuum cleaner, so you won’t forget to plug it in to charge.
Shark vs Dyson Corded Vacuum Cleaners
Also, the suction power of a corded vacuum is usually a lot stronger than the suction power of a cordless vacuum cleaner.
So, a corded vacuum cleaner is great for deeper cleaning.
With corded vacuums, carpets and hard floors are totally clean of all tiny particles, dust, dander, and pet hair.
Regarding the best corded from Shark and Dyson corded vacuum cleaners, I selected the Shark Rocket Ultra-Light and the Dyson V11 Torque Drive.
What is the best Shark corded vacuum cleaner? That award goes to the Shark Rocket Ultra-Light.
This corded vacuum cleaner is great if:
- You expect a versatile appliance: this one can clean carpets and hard floors thoroughly.
- You desire to have a handheld corded vacuum cleaner.
- You prefer a lightweight model that you can use to vacuum ceilings and drapes
- You have large rooms: swivel steering in this model means you can quickly get around and under furniture and into tight corners or other hard to reach places.
But what about the top offering from Dyson?
The Dyson Ball Allergy Complete Upright Vacuum is another top competitor when it comes to corded vacuum cleaners.
This is your best choice if:
- You or your family suffer from allergies: this vacuum is made especially for high suction to clean even the tiniest of allergens;
- You are a pet owner: its adjustable height and accessories can clean literally every type of dirt, floor, and surface.
- You suffer from back pains: there is a turbine head that’s controlled at the handle, so you don’t have to bend all over the place to reach corners and around furniture.
So, now that we’ve seen the best cordless and corded offerings from Shark and Dyson, let’s compare the best products of the two brands according to how you plan to use them in your home.
Comparison by Usage
In this chapter, I’ll look at the best models offered by Shark and Dyson for cleaning up pet hair all around the house, keeping hardwood floors dust-free, and deep cleaning carpets of all types.
Shark vs Dyson Pet Hair Vacuums
A performing pet hair vacuum includes features like:
- an effective filter,
- a large dust collection bin,
- an upholstery tool for furniture,
- and swivel steering to reach all the hard to reach areas.
What kind of animal hair vacuums do Shark and Dyson offer? Let’s check out their top options: Shark Pet-Perfect II and Dyson Ball Animal 2.
The best pet hair vacuum from Shark is the Shark Pet-Perfect II. It is a handheld vacuum cleaner that is optimized for picking up animal hair and dander.
No products found.
So this will be your best pick if:
- You seek for a small and lightweight pet hair equipment to spot clean your boat, RV or car.
- Even if it’s a small appliance, you want a compelling option: its strong suction makes it perfect for all surfaces.
- You have a small budget: this option is more than affordable.
- Besides pet stains, you need to erase other tough stains: with the motorized pet brush or crevice tool, you can clean stubborn stains.
If you are looking for other affordable options, check my review on the best cheap vacuum cleaner of 2023. On the other hand, Dyson’s best vacuum cleaner for animal hair is the Dyson Ball Animal 2.
It’s a standard upright vacuum cleaner, but excellent if:
- In addition to having pets, you suffer from allergies: it has the top suction rates for vacuum cleaners on the market making it ideal for dust, pet hair, and other allergens.
- You want to vacuum pet hair but also clean hardwood, tile floor as well as indoor/outdoor carpets. The self-adjusting head adapts to the correct height for whatever surface you’re vacuuming.
- You don’t need to read an encyclopedia to use it: you can use this appliance just right out of the box
Shark vs Dyson for Hardwood Floors
Well, first of all, most models will be okay for your hardwood floors. But, the models that I’ll explain here are specially optimized for hardwood floors because their cleaning action is very low to the ground.
This means that they’ll pick up more dust and grime from your wood floor.
For this comparison, I picked the Shark Lift-Away TruePet and the Dyson DC18 Slim.
The best hardwood floor vacuum cleaner from Shark is the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright.
This vacuum cleaner is optimal for hardwood floors because of its superior suction power.
Consider it if:
- You don’t want to miss any dirt, primarily on hardwood floors: the LED lights help to see dust and dirt.
- You need to vacuum hardwood floors but also carpeted floor with ease: the fingertip controls allow maximum efficiency when you switch from carpet to hardwood
- You are fed up with dusty smelling vacuum bags: the container is completely sealed and doesn’t let dirt to escape.
- You want freedom: its long cord allows it.
Meanwhile, the best option for hardwood floors from Dyson is the Dyson DC18 Slim All-Floors Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner.
It’s perfect for your hardwood floors if:
- You hate vacuuming: the top suction power at 200 AW is so strong that you won’t have to make another pass.
- You care about style: The Dyson Slim is a compact great-looking conversation piece.
- You have stairs: with it you can carry up and down stairs easily
- You suffer from asthma: this one is fully certified by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation.
This slimmed-down version of an upright vacuum cleaner is great for hardwood floors because it’s easy to take and put away, even though it’s super powerful.
Shark vs Dyson for Carpet
What makes an ideal vacuum cleaner for carpeted floors?
It should also have an extra-strong suction and agitator bar. This will help to shake dust and dirt out of the carpet fibers before sucking up even the tiniest of particles.
For this category, I analyzed the Shark Rocket Ultra-Light and the Dyson V8 Absolute.
From Shark, the best vacuum cleaner for carpets and rugs is the Shark Rocket Ultra-Light.
It’s powerful for getting your carpets clean. Also, it’s compact, which makes it ideal for auto detailing and keeping every inch of the carpets dust free.
So, this cleaning machine is a perfect fit if:
- You need a versatile cleaning machine: this one is a lightweight stick vacuum cleaner that also converts to a handheld vacuum.
- You need flexibility: Its long cord permits to be free without having to look after electrical outlets.
- You want to vacuum every day: it comes with a charging wall mount for super easy storage.
On the other hand, Dyson offers the Dyson V8 Absolute. This carpet friendly vacuum is especially known for its suction power.
It also boasts some great attributes, that you’ll appreciate if:
- You need extensive autonomy: you can clean up to 40 minutes, practical for large areas.
- You want a versatile machine: even if this is the best vacuum for carpets, this vacuum has been repeatedly identified by customers as perfect for hardwood floors.
- You need a lightweight machine: buyers having a certain age or suffering from arthritis said that this vacuum is a blessing.
- You hate odd jobs: this machine comes with a washable lifetime filter, so you’ll never have to replace it.
Shark vs Dyson Accessories & Attachments
Are your cleaning accessories important?
Sure, they are.
Having the right accessories can improve the usage and lifetime of your vacuum cleaner.
Both Shark and Dyson offer some fantastic accessories for their vacuum cleaners.
Shark provides a very popular Extendable Under-Appliance and Furniture Vacuum Cleaner Wand. This wand simply attaches to most Shark model vacuum cleaners. It allows you to clean under heavy appliances and furniture without having to move them.
From Dyson, you can order a 5 Pack Attachment Kit. This kit includes:
- The flat seam nozzle is for cleaning in corners and other hard to reach nooks.
- The soft brush is helpful in getting all the dust off of electronics and keyboards.
- The stiff brush is great for getting stubborn spots out of carpets and upholstery.
- The mattress brush is for getting dust out of textured furniture and curtains, or even windows.
- The combination brush is handy for especially grimy corners of the forgotten areas behind appliances where lots of dirt has collected.
With the help of my article, I hope you’ll able to find the best Shark vs Dyson vacuum cleaner for your home.
Now I would like to hear from you:
- Which ones would you test first? A Shark or a Dyson vacuum?
- Have you tried models that I have not listed?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below.