You have kids and pets, congratulations. You (certainly) have gross-looking carpets too – no matter how much you try to avoid it.
So, what do you do? You clean it all by yourself.
Simply by using my new homemade carpet cleaner recipe.
But before I start, read the manufacturer’s instructions
Prior to putting anything into your carpet cleaner, grab the manufacturer’s instructions for information about the warranty. Some machine’s warranties can become invalid if you don’t use a specific product with the cleaner. Apart from this, you always have to test the solution on a small area of the caret for any side-effects.
Don’t clean the entire floor if you haven’t tested the formula.
The Ingredients Checklist
All the ingredients to this homemade carpet cleaner recipe you can find at your local supermarket, dollar store or on the internet.
Natural & Non-Toxic Ingredients?
However, if you’re looking for a carpet cleaner that really works and saves you money, you can make some compromises (unless you are allergic or will not use unnatural products at home – of course).
Please note that this recipe works in the 24 hours you have to shampoo your carpeting.
Well, I’ve found that white vinegar and water combinations work pretty well. For pleasant aromas, add some essential oils to the mix. The white vinegar and water mix will not work as exceptionally as my recipe. But if you are worried about the toxins, you can use this natural combination for your carpet cleaner.
So, here are the ingredients for 1 gallon of the solution:
- 2 tbsp of Tide Laundry Detergent (liquid form)
- ¼ cup of the Awesome cleaner or the dollar store’s brand
- 1 Oxiclean scoop (you can implement a dollar store brand here as well)
- 1 tsp Downy Softener (Optional)
- 1 g of warm water
Now, how do you do this? Read the next chapter.
How to Make the Solution Step by Step
Grab a pitcher or a large bowl and combine the following products: Oxiclean, Awesome cleaner, and the liquid Tide (Downy if you’re using as well). Stir well until the mixture becomes homogeneous.
Start to slowly pour hot water into the solution. Do it slowly and gently, if not, you will make a lot of bubbles and a mess. After you’ve poured it all in, gently stir until everything looks dissolved.
Pour the solution into a container such as a spray bottle (gallon-sized).
Make a label for the container that reads: “Homemade Concentrated Carpet Cleaner” – you can get creative in this part.
How to Implement the Solution Step by Step
Before using the carpet cleaner, ensure you vacuum the space you will be working on. You use carpet cleaners only to shampoo your carpet and make the stains go away. But carpet cleaners don’t work on crumbs, dust, or debris.
2.Carpet Cleaner InstructionsGrab the manual and locate the part that specifies how much product you should add. Not all dispensers are the same size. Typically carpet cleaners need about ¼ of a cup of concentrated solution. But this amount can vary depending on your machine. Once you’ve added the solution, fill the rest of the dispenser with hot water. Disclaimer: This amount is for 1 gallon for ¼ of a cup of the cleaning solution.
3.TestingBefore doing the entire floor, make sure to do a spot test with the carpet cleaner in a hidden area of the floor. It’s important that you don’t skip this step. Keep it safe and don’t ruin your carpeting. Wait for approximately 24 hours to see how the test spots dry and react to the carpet. If everything looks good, and no discoloration is occurring, then you’re good to go.
4.Go TimeRun the machine on the entirety of the carpet. Make sure you pay extra attention to the difficult carpet stains and spots we mentioned earlier. Wait for 24 hours for the carpet to fully dry and enjoy the freshness of your newly cleaned carpet.
- It’s important that you don’t skip any of the steps, especially the testing portion.Also, if your warranty invalidates due to the use of other cleaners, this decision will be up to you to take. A few considerations to have in mind is how much money you’re spending on name-brand products.
- Plus, if you’ve had your carpet cleaner for years now, it may be time to try something new and save some cash. Otherwise, if your carpet cleaner is fairly new, it may be smart to play it safe, especially if your warranty dictates that other cleaners aren’t recommended. Also, if you have darker carpet stains, make sure you pay attention here. Yes, the cleaner will work to remove stains. But it’s always good to do a couple of more passes.
- For the optional Downy fabric softener, this leave your carpets feeling soft.Think about implementing it in the recipe, you won’t regret how gentle the fibers feel after drying out. This is good for adding about ¼ of the solution to one gallon of water. Remember to add just a bit of a solution each time you need to add water to the carpet cleaner. However, the best option is always to follow the instruction.
READ NEXT: The 4 Simple Methods To Clean Your Carpets
Now I’d Like to Hear From You
I hope you found my homemade carpet cleaner recipe helpful.
Now I’d like to hear what you have to say:
- Will you use my recipe ?
- Do you have your own ?
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.