We know that it can be difficult to keep your ceramic and porcelain tile floors clean. Sweeping and vacuuming only go so far, but don’t get rid of all the dirt and debris.
Tile floor cleaners are designed specifically for hard surface flooring. These cleaning solutions will remove stains and dirt and leave your floors looking shiny.
We’ll tell you what to look out for, such as which formulas are safe and acid-free. You can then read our reviews of the best tile cleaners for your flooring and pick the one that’s the right fit for you.
Our Top PicksThe HouseWire earns a commission through the following independently chosen links at no additional cost to you.
What to Look For in a Tile Cleaner
Here we’ll cover everything you need to look out for when choosing the best cleaning solution for your tile floors.
This is the most common form and can be easily sprayed from a bottle. And they’re available in different strengths and scents.
This contains an added foaming agent for bigger and stickier spills.
This type is ideal for specific areas that need deep cleaning, such as grout lines, as the solution is more concentrated.
This type of tile cleaner is abrasive. Add a little water to form a paste before applying it on your floors and this will get rid of even the most stubborn stains.
Chemical cleaning solutions contain strong ingredients. Some of these harsh chemicals are linked to asthma, birth defects, and some may contain a carcinogenic impurity, according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) (1).
But, the manufacturers of chemical products don’t need to list the ingredients of their solutions on the bottles or make them public. This is unlike food products, where manufacturers are obliged to release such information.
On the other hand, chemical-based tile cleaners are normally more effective. Therefore, if you do want to opt for one, you should look for the “Safer Choice” label.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) uses this label to indicate a chemical floor cleaner that is safer. They evaluate each chemical and will only authorize their “Safer Choice” sign for those that are safe.
If you can’t see the label on a certain tile cleaner but still want to use it, protect yourself. We advise that you wear gloves and a mask.
Natural cleaning solutions still contain chemicals. But these are from sources such as corn or other biological origins, and not from petroleum.
Therefore, they are made from renewable resources and might be more environmentally friendly. However, even here the “natural” ingredients are chemically identical to those ingredients derived from petroleum.
So in fact in most cases, the health and environmental impacts of these “natural” products are similar to those of “chemical” products. And this is both when they’re being used, and after you’ve used them.
It’s also difficult to say that they’re much safer. Unless you know the full product ingredients, you can’t know the full potential effects of natural-based solutions.
Concentrated Floor Cleaner
These need to be diluted with water before you clean your tile. This will save you money as you’ll only need a small amount to mix with water – but you might find them less convenient.
Complete Floor Cleaner
These don’t need to be mixed but you can apply them directly from the bottle to your tile floor, making for easy cleaning. But they can be more expensive in the long term as you’ll probably use the solution up quicker.
This type allows you to quickly and easily spray the cleaning solution onto your floor with a built-in nozzle. Spray bottles are good for small areas and on-the-spot spills.
These can be used to put a small amount of the tile cleaner directly onto your tile flooring. You then use a mop to clean the floor.
This kind comes in big quantities which will save you money. You use them to refill your spray bottle or fluid cartridge on a spray mop.
The Best Cleaners for Tile Floor Of 2023
We’ve spent lots of hours researching the best tile floor cleaners. So you don’t have to!
We’ve put together user feedback, manufacturer specs, and floor cleaner descriptions. You can read our reviews and all the details are there for you to pick the best product for your household.
1. Swiffer WetJet Starter KitSwiffer WetJet Floor Spray Mop Review
Give all your hard floors a deep clean with this kit from Swiffer. It’s got everything you need to get on with your chores.
You’ll get a powerful spray mop and a 500ml bottle of cleaning solution. Plus there are 2 original pad refills, and 3 extra power pad refills that you can use to clean up tough stains.
The sprayer has a dual nozzle to cover more of your tile floors in one go. And by simply pressing the trigger on the handle, just the right amount of tile floor cleaner will be released each time.
Plus, it’s battery-operated (4 batteries come with the kit). So you won’t need to worry about any cords getting in the way while you mop.
- Affordable price for an all-in-one kit.
- Lightweight so easy to move around your home.
- Users said it was ideal for quick tile cleaning and on-the-spot messes.
- Unit is easy to assemble.
- Some customers commented that it won’t last you as long as more expensive mops on the market.
- Bottles are not refillable and pads are not washable so more waste created.
“The Swiffer Wet Jet has a simple, compact design. And the curving handle makes it feel comfortable to hold. […] I was impressed at how well it trapped dust on laminate, hardwood floors, and vinyl surfaces.It was also very efficient for scrubbing stains and marks on these surfaces. [But] I found tiles were the weakest area. The Swiffer WetJet left dirt in grout even when I was using extra pressure. […]That said, the overall cleaning results were very impressive. But, don’t expect flawless results on your tiles.” — Meg Amy, Product Tester
|Mess Type||Dirt, Mud|
2. Better Life Natural Floor Cleaner
Read Full Review: Better Life Floor Cleaner Review
Clean tile floors safely with this Better Life cleaner. There are no added dyes, synthetic fragrances, bleach, sulfates, or other strong chemicals.
This tile cleaner is eco-friendly as its ingredients are plant-based and biodegradable. And essential oils from grapefruit, peppermint, and bergamot will leave your home with a lovely fresh scent.
But this cleaning solution is also powerful. It’ll clean away tough stains and dirt build-ups. Plus, you can use it on marble and vinyl floors, hardwood and laminate surfaces, as well as on your ceramic tile floors.
You can squirt the solution straight onto your tile surfaces. Then all you need is any type of damp mop to get your floors sparkling clean – you don’t need to rinse afterward.
- Customers loved the smell left behind after they’d finished their tile floor cleaning.
- Better Life was founded in St. Louis, Missouri, and its products are all made in the US.
- The bottle lasts a long time, even in larger homes.
- Safe to use around kids and pets.
- Some users said that it left a residue/stickiness behind – but they could avoid this by diluting it slightly with plain water.
- A few customers complained about the bottle lid leaking.
|Mess Type||Dirt, Everyday Spills|
3. Aunt Fannie’s Floor Cleaner Vinegar Wash
“Floors so clean, you could eat off of them”. That’s Aunt Fannie’s promise to their customers if you use their natural tile cleaner on your floors.
This tile cleaner will give your ceramic tiles a shiny look without leaving any residue. It’s plant-based with the addition of vinegar and essential oils to remove dirt and grime.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has given this cleaner an A rating. So you can be sure that you’re using a floor cleaner that is healthy for you and your family.
This solution offers versatility as you can use it with a mop bucket, spray bottle, or tile floor cleaning machine. Plus, it’s available in a range of different scents to suit your tastes including lavender, eucalyptus, lemon, and mandarin.
- Customers were satisfied that it gave their floors a real deep clean.
- Vinegar acts as a natural cleaner and deodorizer.
- Safe for pets but also good at cleaning up the messes that they leave.
- Some users thought that it left too strong a smell after cleaning.
- Expensive for the size of the bottle.
|Mess Type||Pet, Grease, Food Spills|
4. Bona Hard-Surface Floor Cleaner Spray
Bona has been making these sorts of products for over 100 years. So you’ll know that you’re buying an effective tile cleaner from a trusted brand.
The solution is water-based and biodegradable, and has ingredients derived from plants. Plus this tile cleaner spray has the EPA’s “Safer Choice” label, so you know your household is in good, safe hands.
Finally, the formula used in this cleaner is pH neutral. So it’ll not damage or discolor your flooring, but help to maintain its finish.
- Really efficient and easy for cleaning up messes on the go.
- Reviews suggest that it dries quickly.
- Economy-sized refills are available to buy so you don’t need to invest in a new spray bottle once you’ve used it up.
- Users said it didn’t leave streaks behind.
- Some users weren’t happy with how it performed on tougher stains.
- A few customers said that it left a sticky residue at times.
|Mess Type||Dirt, Pet, Everyday Spills|
5. Hoover Renewal Tile and Grout Formula
The enzymes in this formula are designed specifically to target the soap scum that builds up on your tiles and grout. And it’ll leave your house with a fresh, citrus scent.
You can use it all on hard floors, including wooden, laminate, vinyl, ceramic, and tile. But it’s also ok to use on your area rugs.
Finally, Hoover’s tile cleaner is safe to use around your kids and pets. So you don’t need to worry about them getting in the way while you mop your floors.
- Made in the US.
- Customers liked the lemony smell.
- Users felt that it offered good value for money.
- Leaves tile floors looking shiny and not hazy.
- Not suitable unless you have a Hoover multi-surface or hard floor machine.
- A few users said that it didn’t remove all of their stubborn stains.
|Mess Type||Dirt, Grime, Scum|
6. O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop
Read Full Review: O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop Review
Give this mop a spin when cleaning tile floors and you’ll have shiny surfaces in no time. This O-Cedar floor cleaner also comes with a bucket that has a built-in wringer so you can keep your hands clean and dry when the mop head needs wringing.
You don’t need to buy any additional tile cleaners. The deep-cleaning advanced microfiber cloth head only needs water to pick up dirt and grime.
Plus it’ll remove 99% of bacteria. You can also clean the mop heads in your washing machine, and each one lasts for up to 3 months.
Finally, the microfiber strands are ideal for either wet or dry mopping. So no matter what type of mess you’ve got to clean up on your ceramic tiles, this will be your go-to mop.
- Triangular mop head is good for getting into corners and tight spaces.
- Customers said that it was easy to wring by just pushing the pedal on the mop bucket.
- Handle extends up to 48 inches.
- Splash guard stops water from escaping while you’re wringing.
- Bucket doesn’t have wheels so can mark your hard floors.
- Not as sturdy and durable as other mops.
|Mess Type||Liquid Spills, Dust and Dry Stains|
7. Bissell CrossWave Max Wet-Dry Vacuum Cleaner and Mop
One of the tile floor cleaning machines that does all your chores in one go. Floor cleaning is easy with this Bissell Crosswave model.
You can vacuum up dust and debris, before washing your tile floors to clean up any spills and sticky messes. And unlike a steam cleaner, it’s safe to use on hardwood floors and laminate. But also on rubber floor mats, and area rugs.
The Two-Tank technology means that the fresh water and formula are kept separate from dirty water and debris. Plus the Hard Floor solution included with the vacuum/mop sanitizes your floors by killing 99.9% of bacteria.
And this tile floor cleaning machine even cleans itself! It flushes out hair and dirt after each use, so there’s less maintenance for you to do.
- Like steam cleaners, kills 99.9% of bacteria.
- Connects to WiFi so you can get tips and track maintenance.
- Cordless model so reviewers said this made cleaning even easier.
- Fairly light and easy to maneuver.
- Expensive when compared to other models.
- Due to its size, not ideal for cleaning tight spaces or under furniture.
|Mess Type||Pet, Spills, Dust and Dry Stains|
8. Black Diamond Stoneworks Ultimate Grout Cleaner
You’ll give your tile floors a deep clean with this commercial-strength formula. It’s designed as a powerful grout cleaner but is acid-free.
You can also use it to get rid of soap residue on your natural stone shower walls or grease and grime build-ups on your stone tile floors.
Simply spray the cleaner onto your grout lines or tiles and then wait for a few minutes. You then loosen the dirt with a brush, but you won’t need much elbow grease to do this.
Finally, this ultimate grout cleaner won’t discolor your grout. In fact, it’ll help to restore its original color once it’s got rid of all the scum build-up.
- Options to buy a refillable bottle and/or brush with it, as well as multi-packs.
- Lots of customers said it left their floors looking like new.
- Very reasonably priced.
- Cleaner is manufactured in the US in San Clemente, California.
- Needs rinsing after use – so may take you longer to clean than with other spray formulas.
- A few users said that the spray nozzle didn’t work properly.
|Mess Type||Dirt, Grease,Scum|
Tile Floor Cleaner Comparison Chart
|Product||Ingredient||Concentration||Bottle||Mess Type||Our Rating|
|Swiffer WetJet Starter Kit||Chemical||Complete||Spray||Dirt, Mud|
|Better Life Natural Floor Cleaner||Natural||Complete||Squirt||Dirt, Everyday Spills|
|Aunt Fannie's Floor Cleaner Vinegar Wash||Natural||Concentrated||Refillable||Pet, Grease, Food Spills||(Testing Now)|
|Bona Hard-Surface Floor Cleaner Spray||Natural||Complete||Spray||Dirt, Pet, Everyday Spills||(Testing Now)|
|Hoover Renewal Tile and Grout Formula||Chemical||Concentrated||Refillable||Dirt, Grime, Scum||(Testing Now)|
|O-Cedar EasyWring Microfiber Spin Mop||N/A||N/A||N/A||Liquid Spills, Dust and Dry Stains|
|Bissell CrossWave Max Wet-Dry Vac||Chemical||Concentrated||Refillable||Pet, Spills, Dust and Dry Stains||(Testing Now)|
|Black Diamond Stoneworks Grout Cleaner||Chemical||Concentrated||Refillable||Pet, Spills, Dust and Dry Stains||(Testing Now)|
- 5 Best Steam Mops for Tiles and Grout (2023 Reviews)
- 7 Best Vacuums for Tile Floors (2023 Reviews)
- 7 Best Mops for Tile Floors (2023 Reviews)