This is my review of the best steam mop of 2020.
In my article, you'll discover:
- My short list of the top steamer
- Their features and short description
- Why they are the champions of their category.
In short: if you're looking for a short list of the top steam cleaning machine, you'll enjoy my article.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall - BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop (1940)
- Best for Tile - Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop
- Best Steam And Vacuum Combo - Bissell Symphony All-in-One
- Best Multipurpose - Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop
- Best Budget - O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
- Best For Laminate - Shark Lift-Away Pro Steam Pocket Mop
- Best For Hardwood - Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop System (S6002)
- Best For Pet Hair - Bissell Symphony Steam Vacuum Cleaner and Steam Mop (1543A)
If you're looking for a durable and capable steam mop at a reasonable price, then the Bissel PowerFresh Steam Mop is a an excellent option.
- This performant steam mop works well on any hard floors, such as marble, tile, linoleum, stone, laminate and sealed hardwood.
- For sealed floors, it offers a convenient way to deep-clean using antimicrobial microfiber cleaning pads. These microfiber pads are excellent for tough stains and easy to wash when you're finished.
- You can clean nooks and crevices, as well as grimy grout and dirt.
- This premium Bissell steam mop offers fantastic features like a built-in scrubber on the mop head, three settings for variable steam control and fragrance discs.
- Weighting 6-pounds, this lightweight cleaning machine is easily movable.
- The Bissell's long 23-foot power cord will also allow you to clean all over without having to move to a new outlet.
- In addition some users particularly love that the heater warmup takes no time at all. This is plus when buying a steam mop because this means in around 30 seconds owners can get to steaming quickly after turning on the mop.
However, there have been issues with some of the plastic parts, resulting in the water tank being more prone to leaks due to the cap.
Altogether, there is a convenient two-year warranty to help ensure these kind of issues are covered.
Also, to make it last more, I recommend to use distilled water in the PowerFresh, instead of still water.
Overall, users find that this steam cleaning machine is an excellent mop, affordable and easy to use.
If you have larger swaths of dirty and tile floors then you can rely on the Shark Genius Steam Mop to get the cleaning job done fast.
- This tile steam mop is fantastic on larger jobs due to the wider cleaning zone it offers.
- On the Shark Genius, you'll also find dual-sided cleaning pads that can help with cleaning up or using it as a scrubber as needed.
- You can release dirty pads so that you can attach a fresh, new pad with the press of a single button. Due to the help of that Touch-free technology, you'll have an easy time getting rid of dirty cleaning pads and attaching fresh ones.
- In addition, the Shark Genius cleans away stubborn stuck-on grime using a steam blaster.
- Because of the three-level steam control, you can engage in direct-steam channeling to make sure it gets where you need it.
- At a mere 6 pounds, you'll also find that this device is light and easy to use for scrubbing up just about any of the messes around your home.
Interested in reading more reviews? Take a look at our selection of the best mops.
Overall, the Shark Genius has been highly praised by owners who find it to be a more effective tool for tile floor than other steam cleaners.
The triangular cleaning pad design also makes it perfect for corners and the cleaning pads are easy to change.
Make sure that you assemble the mop well and make sure it's in good condition, because in some cases it can break after just a few uses.
If you have a lot of tile floor area to cover and need something that can keep up, this is an excellent choice.
Read full review: Shark Genius Steam Pocket Mop Review
The Bissell Symphony All-In-One Steam Mop and Vacuum steams and vacuums, saving you times to do the jobs of two appliances with just one.
- It includes multiple microfiber mop pads that you can use on sealed floors.
These four cleaning pads also include some that allow you to get a deeper clean through the use of scrubbing strips.
- Furthermore, many users find that the Symphony is able to heat up in about 30 seconds, allowing it to quickly produce steam. This is very practical for cleaning up after pets, kids, spilled food and remove tough stains.
- If you need it, there is also a carpet glider you can buy separately.
- Because the Symphony is a all-in-one dual functional machine, it weighs in at a little under 10 pounds, which is a little heavier than other steam mops.
- In addition, you'll have the use of easy-to-use digital controls that allow you to set the two-level steam control as needed.
- The Symphony is also ideal for families, as it's terrific for cleaning up after tracked in mud and pet shedding.
You can easily convert between the fantastic functions, allowing you to get the benefits of a vacuum and steam mop in one tool.
As a result, you can move between sweeping floors and breaking out the steam mop without a problem.
With this level of versatility, you can enjoy vacuum and steam mop functions that non-combo units simply cannot offer.
On some rare occasions, customers have found that it can stop being able to create steam. Because of that, it may require repairs after a few months.
But don't worry. The two-year warranty will keep you in safe hands.
All-in-all, this vac and steam combo device offers you a vacuum and a steam mop in one, creating a higher level of versatility as a result.
Read Next: Best Vacuum Cleaners of 2020
If you need a versatile steam mop, the PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop is the choice for you.
The PowerFresh Lift-off works not only as an amazing steam mop, but also as a grout cleaner, window squeegee, detail brush, fabric steamer or offer a great deep clean.
- This lift-off cleaner is a highly versatile steam cleaning machine that works well on sealed flooring.
- While you can expect this to be one of the heavier models at around 10 pounds, it has a variety of add-ons that can make your cleaning job a lot easier.
- Also perfect for pet owners, this all-purpose steamer comes with an integrated scrubber. As a result, it offers more power to tougher spots that need a good scrubbing.
- Alongside the longer 25-foot power cord, you'll also get washable microfiber pads and scent discs that can leave your home fresh-smelling clean.
- In about 30 seconds, this steam mop heats up quickly so that you can get to work on your floors.
However, reviewers who use this steam mop can sometimes find that it has a small fill hole, and also isn't removable. This can make it difficult to get water into the water chamber.
Some customers have also experienced problems with this skillfull mop arriving in a nonworking condition or ceasing to work with no apparent reason. In this case, I recommend to call for the BISSELL client support to use the warranty.
Finally, if you have pets or children that you need to easily clean up after, this is a wonderful choice.
- Compared to competitors, this is a very budget-friendly steam mop that is still highly capable on most hard floors.
- Many customers that this device works similarly to the Shark Lift-Away vacuum line - a much more expensive steam mop.
- The O-Cedar includes some quality features like a snap-on glider and variable steam control so that you can scrub hard or lightly steam carpets as needed.
- Users also love that this mop heats up in about 20 seconds and produces steam, which is good when you have tough stains.
- Due to the attached scrubber, you'll have no problem maneuvering and using this 5 pound tool.
Owners of the O-Cedar find that the included scrubber pad does a great job when it comes to getting squeaky clean floors.
While a few customers do find that O-Cedar to be somewhat flimsy, this appliance worths its price.
For getting clean floors without breaking the bank, the O-Cedar is the affordable way to go.
If you're looking for a steam mop that is perfect for laminate floors, the Shark Lift-Away Steam Pocket Mop is a great option.
- It also features a removable handheld steamer that you can use for curtains, counters and other above-floor surfaces for a truly deep clean.
- In addition, it shares the feature of washable microfiber cleaning pads with the Bissell PowerFresh.
- Furthermore, you'll get a flat scrubber tool that is also made with a pad, designed for handheld use.
- In addition, at a mere 5 pounds, you'll leave your floors spotless without extra weight or the hassle that can come with traditional mopping.
- The Shark Lift-Away also provides a quick-release mop head, steam-control settings and two mop pads for convenient use.
Owners particularly love the accessory hose and garment steamer brush that help to create a higher level of versatility.
It is recommended that you use distilled water with the Shark Lift-Away for better results, especially if you need to scrub pockets of hidden grime well.
Some customers have found the Shark to have a smaller water tank, which can mean you need to refill it more often.
For something lightweight that uses the power of steam to clean your laminate surfaces, you can't go wrong with this mop.
The Shark Genius system is an incredibly efficient steam mop when it comes to clean hardwood floors.
- You'll also get multiple pads, allowing you to get a fresh cleaning pad whenever you need.
- Using a small lever that you can press with your foot, you can replace or switch out the pad as needed.
- Furthermore, you can flip the pad over to the back side and use the folded-over Genius pad to finish getting your floors clean. Consequently, whether you need to click in a fresh pad or flip the one you're using, you can do it without touching the pads with your hands.
- The Shark Genius Pocket Mop is a device that is absolutely made for convenience. It offers a strong ease of use to clean hardwood floors, like the flexibility to flip the head as needed, even moving the head backward.
- Though it's similar to the PowerFresh, this mop offers an added versatility and ability on sticky stains.
Overall, the Shark Genius Pocket Mop can get your wood floors cleaner faster while taking no time at all to warm up and get hot.
A perfect fit for hardwood floors, the Shark Genius Pocket Mop is not only effective, but also easy to shimmy the head out to replace or switch the pad.
Because that helps to avoid the spread of germs to your hands, it's a safer choice as well.
The handle on this mop may be less durable than other options, causing it to sometimes break unexpectedly as a result.
So I recommend to take an extra care to the handle when using this cleaning appliance.
The Bissell Symphony Steam Vacuum Cleaner and Steam Mop is a great choice for those looking for the perfect steam mop for pet hair. Not only does it remove pet hair from hardwood floors, but carpeting as well.
This BISSELL model for pet hair has a unique tank emptying system that allows you to remove dust and fur hands-free. The BISSELL 1543A also heats up quickly and can be attached to disposable pads that help to remove germs and bacteria from your floors. This model can also be used with scented water which can pick up urine smells and other pet odors that might have been left behind by your fur babies.
At 10 pounds, this device is somewhat lightweight and will be easy to move around to pick up after your cat or dog. While it works well to capture pet hair and debris, a handful of reviewers do find it not to be very durable making it a little behind the competition in this aspect.
As a pet owner, it’s vital that you find a device that sanitizes and shines your flooring. Symphony’s vacuum can help with this thanks to its impressive heating features and odor-removing pads.
What to Look for in a Steam Mop
It’s important to keep a few things in mind when shopping for a steam mop. Below are some aspects to consider.
The steam output is important to look at in a steam mop as it shows you how much steam is emitted by the vacuum. If too little is released, it won’t be able to tackle tough stains. Because of this, it’s crucial that the mop has a strong steam output to help sanitize your floors.
A steam mop should have a large reservoir capacity. This way, the device will be able to release heavy amounts of steam so your flooring is spick and span. It will also prevent you from having to constantly refill the tank back up.
Another good thing to look at is if the device comes with or can be used with accessories. This includes attachments for blinds, countertops, car upholstery, and windows. Most products will come with nozzles with help with this, but not all do, so it’s important to check beforehand.
Types of Floors
A steam mop should be versatile and be able to work on carpet as well as tile, laminate, and hardwood floors. This will help to make your cleaning jobs go by much faster because you won’t have to keep switching to new tools to use. In addition to this, you’ll be able to reach and clean all areas where your kids and pets might have played.
Pets are wonderful additions to the family, but they can leave behind a lot of fur, dander, and odors. If you’re a pet owner, it’s a good idea to make sure the steam mop is designed to be used to clean up after them. Otherwise, you might find that fur and unpleasant aromas continue to linger around.