Vacuum cleaners are essential cleaning tools to get your floors clean. But for a sparkless clean floor, you’ll always need a mop.
Thanks to its really fine fibers, a microfiber mop will work hard to get rid of dust, microbes, and liquid messes from all floor types. And this type of mop needs less water and chemicals. So they’re better for our environment and your floor.
Here, we’ll tell you what to look out for when choosing the best microfiber mop for your floor cleaning. And our reviews cover price, handles, and other features, so you know exactly what you’re getting with each model.
Our Top PicksThe HouseWire earns a commission through the following independently chosen links at no additional cost to you.
What Is a Microfiber Mop?
A microfiber mop is a mop made with a microfiber head.
Microfiber fibers are made of synthetic fibers, normally polyester or polyamide, or a mixture of the two.
And they’re measured in denier. This refers to the linear mass of the fibers. And for microfiber, this is really small as it’s finer than one denier. As a comparison, a silk strand is ⅕ of the diameter of a hair – you get the idea.
When they’re made, the microfibers are split many times. This is to enhance their cleaning ability, as the grooves caused by the splits allow the cloth or mop head to trap tiny bits of dirt and absorb liquids.
Finally, unlike cotton, microfiber items also don’t have lint – making them an ideal material for cleaning.
Why Should I Invest in a Microfiber Mop?
Let’s look at the benefits you’ll gain from buying a microfiber mop.
Effective at Capturing Dust, Dirt, and Microbes
The fibers are split so that they’re much smaller than human hair. This means that they can get into cracks and gaps that are too small for traditional cotton mop heads or paper towels to reach.
Microfiber mops are also really good at absorbing liquid messes. The larger surface area and star shape of the fibers mean that they can absorb about 7 to 8 times their weight in liquid.
And as you scrub your floors with these mops, this enables them to soak up liquids even more. Plus, they’re great at picking up grease and oily spills – more than other alternatives.
They’re also ideal for use as a dust mop. The fibers on the mop pads create a static electric charge when you move the mop across your surfaces.
This charge then attracts dust and keeps it within the mop head. So it doesn’t just get spread around your floor and not picked up. And it won’t get released into the air in your home.
Finally, research has shown that they do pick up more microbes than other mop types. The Davis Medical Center at the University of California (UCDMC) proved that microfiber mops reduced bacteria on floors by 99%.
This compared to just a 30% reduction in bacteria when a cotton-loop mop was used.
Less Water and Chemicals Used
Comparisons made between them and conventional wet loop mops by the UCDMC showed that microfiber mops used 95% less water and chemicals.
For example, a microfiber mop needed just 5 gallons of water to clean 100 rooms. Whereas the loop mop needed 105 gallons to clean the same amount of rooms.
So, you’ll save money on water usage and buying expensive chemical cleaners.
Lightweight and Safe
Therefore, they’re easier to use and reduce the risk of you hurting your neck or back. In addition, they don’t need wringing as often as there’s less water used and the microfiber mop pads are changed frequently.
So if you work in a building where there’s lots of mopping to do, for example in a hospital, again there’s less chance of an injury from having to wring heavy wet mop pads.
As you don’t need to wring as much, you also won’t need to carry around big buckets of water while you’re mopping. So there’s no heavy lifting – and no need to change the dirty solution in the bucket, saving you time while doing your cleaning chores.
Finally, as less water is used, your floors will dry quickly. Therefore, there’s less opportunity for you to slip on the floor and hurt yourself.
A study by the University of Massachusetts found that microfiber pads last 10 times longer than a cotton-loop mop. And because it’s better at capturing microbes and liquids, it’s better to use than paper towels as you’ll need lots of those to do a similar job.
Finally, a microfiber mop has machine washable pads that can be reused 100s of times. So you won’t be adding to landfill waste with disposable cleaning pads.
What to Look for in a Microfiber Mop
Now let’s consider what you should look out for when buying a microfiber mop.
Mop Head Cleaning Path
Mop heads can be anywhere between about 10 and 24 inches wide. Pick one that’ll suit your room sizes.
You could also consider smaller microfiber mop heads. These can fit into tight spaces, like under your couches – but obviously, they won’t cover as much ground as larger mop heads.
Finally, also look at how much the mop neck will rotate. A 360-degree neck will have great maneuverability for cleaning awkward spaces.
The wringing mechanism removes excess water so that your floors won’t become too wet. Microfiber mops normally have the mechanism on a bucket.
There’s usually a built-in wringer that uses a lever to squeeze or spin the liquid out of the mop pads. Some of these are easy to use as their hands-free, so check how the mechanism operates before buying.
Wooden or metallic mop handles are common because they are sturdy and less likely to break or bend. Even when you’re putting a lot of effort into scrubbing your floors.
But some models use plastic for the handles. This allows for an ergonomic handgrip, and the addition of levers and spray triggers.
Look out for comfortable grips made of soft foam, or curved handles. These will allow you to move the mop around easier.
The denier must be lower than 1 to be classified as microfiber – this means it’s equal to or less than 10 micrometers. A smaller denier means finer fibers and a more effective mop pad.
The best microfiber mops will have a denier of below 0.5. Look out for these as you’ll know then that the fibers are small enough to eliminate germs and bacteria from your floors.
Professional grade microfiber pads will have a denier of about 0.13.
You might need different fiber densities for different cleaning tasks. So check with the manufacturer what’s available and which grade of microfiber will suit your cleaning needs.
And a thicker microfiber cloth should last you longer. You’ll be able to put it in the washing machine more times, and it shouldn’t fray or tear.
Most microfiber mops will have a cloth head that’s 250 GSM or more. Look out for this measurement as it’ll tell you that the mop pads are of good quality.
Look at the manufacturer’s website if you can’t see this information on the product itself. It should be listed there under product specs.
For example, some mops will come with a bucket or extra microfiber pads. These will come in handy while you’re washing your mop pads.
Check how much replacement pads will cost – even if you get a few of these, you’ll need to buy new ones eventually.
Also, look at the handle to see if it’s ergonomic and/or extends. Or you might want a mop that has a spray function built-in.
Finally, see how the mop head attaches to the base. This is usually either with velcro or with some strips or tabs.
The Best Microfiber Mops in 2023
We’ve spent a lot of time researching the best microfiber mops. We’ve brought together customer reviews, product specs, and manufacturer details.
You’ll be able to look at mop head sizes, types of handle, price, quality, and much more. Then you can choose the product that’s the best fit for you.
1. Turbo Microfiber Mop Floor Cleaning SystemTurbo Microfiber Mopping System Review
Clean your whole house with this super absorbent microfiber mop, which is currently the number 1 bestseller in Amazon’s Commercial Wet Mops. Use it on all floor types – wood, tile, laminate, stone, cement, and vinyl.
You can use the reinforced microfiber pads as a dry or wet mop, so you can pick up pet hair and dirt or clean up liquid messes. Plus, there are also 2 scrubbing pads which are ideal for cleaning up grease or oil stains and dried-on messes.
Finally, the mop head rotates 360o making cleaning everywhere easy. You’ll be able to reach underneath furniture and into those awkward spots.
- Users said the handle – which extends to 60 inches – was a good length for cleaning under the couch, or even the windows
- Many customers said this set offered good value for money, as it was affordable and came with 4 mop pads
- The mop head is a large size, making cleaning bigger rooms quick and easy
- Feedback suggests that floors were not left too wet after mopping
- Some users said that the velcro that keeps the cleaning pads in place came off after not many uses
- A few commented on how the mop head is too wide to fit into most buckets
“Thanks to this mop, I don’t have to use elbow grease or worry about carrying a bucket around with me. Instead, I can simply attach one of the microfiber pads, extend the handle, and start mopping.” — Meg Amy, Product Tester
|Mop Head Material||Microfiber pad|
|Handle Length||60 inches|
|Accessories Included||2 reusable microfiber pads, 2 reusable scrubbing pads|
2. MEXERRIS Microfiber Floor Mop
The mop pads have 3 layers that mean fine dust particles, pet hair, and moisture can be picked up and absorbed. There’s an enhanced, thicker microfiber layer, a water-intake layer, and it’s topped with fluffier fibers to attract all the dirt on your floors.
The manufacturers have been constantly upgrading their mops and made this model with enhanced aluminum, so the mop head won’t flip over while you’re cleaning.
Plus, the included scraper lets you clean the mop pad easily.
- Users said the aluminum handle felt sturdy, but it also has a non-slip hold
- Swivel head that rotates 360o allowed customers to clean right into all nooks and crannies
- As well as mopping, this model offers versatility as you can use it for polishing and waxing too
- Feedback suggests it’s very well-priced
- Some customers said that the instructions weren’t very well written and were hard to follow
- A few said it wasn’t that good on removing stubborn stains
|Mop Head Material||Microfiber cloth pad|
|Handle Length||150 centimeters|
|Accessories Included||4 reusable microfiber pads, 1 scraper|
3. MR.SIGA Professional Microfiber Mop
Read Full Review: Mr.Siga Professional Microfiber Mop Review
Getting your hardwood floors sparkling clean and bacteria-free is easy with this professional mop from MR.SIGA. It offers great maneuverability across your hard floors with a 360o swivel head.
You can use the machine washable pads of this hardwood floor mop to remove dust and pet hair that tends to cling to wooden floors. And then you can also use the mop pad to wax your hardwood surfaces, or mop away liquid spills.
The mop head has a sturdy aluminum base with a plastic outer casing that won’t scratch your floors or table legs. And the stainless steel handle has a double locking system to hold it in place.
- Users said that microfiber mopping pads felt thick and effectively removed stains from their hardwood floors – unlike other models where the mop just glided over surfaces
- Customers said it was easy to store as the handle breaks down into smaller pieces
- Reviewers commented on how easy it was to remove and replace the microfiber cloths
- Scraper came in very handy to remove dust and dirt after dry mopping
- Some had a problem with the mop handle not staying extended
- The mop pads weren’t that easy to wring for some users, so their hardwood floor got quite wet when cleaning
|Mop Head Material||Microfiber cloth pad|
|Handle Length||59 inches|
|Accessories Included||4 reusable microfiber cloths, 1 dirt removal scrubber|
4. Microfiber Wholesale 18″ Professional Microfiber Mop
This mop is great for both wet and dry cleaning, with thicker pads making them extra absorbent. You’ll only need plain water to clean up spills and stains, saving you money on buying a cleaning solution.
And you can use this mop safely on cleaning floors made of wood, stone, laminate, tiles, and vinyl. Plus, the handle extends to an impressive 70 inches giving you extra reach into hard-to-reach places like underneath the couch.
- Customers said that the stainless steel handle felt stable to use, but was also comfy due to the foam grip
- Many users commented on how little streaking this microfiber mop left on their floors
- Feedback suggests that you can use this to easily dust and wipe your walls and ceilings as well as floors
- Users appreciated the pro mopping tips that came in the instruction manual
- Some found this on the heavy side for a microfiber mop – so bear this in mind if you’d prefer a lightweight model
More expensive than other mops users had purchased
|Mop Head Material||Microfiber pad|
|Handle Length||70 inches|
|Accessories Included||2 reusable microfiber cloths|
5. O-Cedar ProMist MAX Microfiber Spray Mop
Read Full Review: O Cedar Promist Max Microfiber Spray Mop
Wet mopping is effortless with this O-Cedar model that is a spray mop with a reusable microfiber pad. It comes at an affordable price and is the best-selling microfiber spray mop (based on unit volume sales week ending 06/14/2020).
The microfiber cleaning head will kill 99% of the bacteria that lies on your surfaces using just water. And scrub zones on the mop pad will help you to clean up stubborn messes.
You control how much spray is released as you mop, with the built-in trigger – making it the perfect damp mop for your delicate floors. Plus, removing the spray bottle to refill it is quick and easy with the one-touch release button.
- Customers found it lightweight and easy to maneuver around their home
- Users said they saved money because they only needed to use water or their own cleaning solution
- Several said that they liked the fact that the mop head is double-sided so you can do more cleaning in one go
- Curved handle is comfortable to hold and rubber at the top so you can lean it against your wall and it won’t fall over when not in use
- No extra microfiber pads included so no spares for when you’re washing the pad
- Some reviewers said that it left streaks on their floors
|Mop Head Material||Microfiber pad|
|Handle Length||50 inches|
6. Libman Microfiber Wet and Dry Mophigh-quality mops and brooms in the US since 1896.
The swivel head rotates 360o, so you can get into awkward spots to either wet or dry mop. Plus at an inexpensive price, you don’t have to spend much to get a product that’s effective both at capturing tiny dust particles and mopping up spills from your hard surfaces.
And Libman is an eco-friendly manufacturer. They make their products from recycled materials and have invested in solar panels and low-energy resources, so you know you’ll be doing your bit for the environment.
- Users were impressed with how absorbent the cleaning pads were
- Feedback suggests that the mop heads were large and covered big areas quickly
- The microfiber mop pads machine washed really well
- Ideal for pet owners – users said it was effective at trapping pet hair and debris
- The handle wasn’t long or sturdy enough for some customers
- Some said that this product broke after not many uses, or even arrived broken when they first received it
|Mop Head Material||Microfiber pad|
|Handle Length||52 inches|
|Accessories Included||2 reusable microfiber pads|
Microfiber Mops Comparison Chart
|Product||Weight||Material||Handle Length||Accessories Included||Our Ratings|
|Turbo Microfiber Mop||1.2 pounds||Microfiber pad||60 inches||2 reusable microfiber pads, 2 reusable scrubbing pads|
|MEXERRIS Microfiber Floor Mop||2 pounds||Microfiber cloth pad||150 centimeters||4 reusable microfiber pads, 1 scraper||(Testing Now)|
|MR.SIGA Professional Microfiber Mop||2.8 pounds||Microfiber cloth pad||59 inches||4 reusable microfiber cloths, 1 dirt removal scrubber|
|Microfiber Wholesale Microfiber Mop||4.65 pounds||Microfiber pad||70 inches||2 reusable microfiber cloths||(Testing Now)|
|O-Cedar ProMist MAX Spray Mop||1.32 pounds||Microfiber pad||50 inches||N/A|
|Libman Microfiber Wet and Dry Mop||1.32 pounds||Microfiber pad||52 inches||2 reusable microfiber pads||(Testing Now)|
Microfiber Mop FAQs
Here we’ll answer some of your most common questions about microfiber mops.
How Do You Use a Microfiber Mop?
- First, take the reusable mop pad off the mop. Soak it either in water or cleaning solution, but wring it out well so it’s not too wet.
- Reattach the mopping pad and glide it across your floors. Use firm but gentle strokes.
- Once you’ve finished cleaning, take the pad off the mop head. Shake it to remove any loose bits of dust and dirt, and then put it in your washing machine.
This video will show you how to use a microfiber mop, both for dust mopping and damp mopping.
How Do You Replace a Microfiber Mop Head?
Once you’ve put the dirty mop pad to wash, attach a new one using the tabs.
Other models will use velcro. These are really easy to change – put the microfiber cloth head on the floor and place the mop head on top to attach.
How Often Should You Replace a Microfiber Mop Head?
Most microfiber cloths can be washed in your machine 100s of times before you need to dispose of them.