My Top Picks
Best Overall - Miele C1 Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Best Runner Up - Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Upright Vacuum
Best Stick Vacum - Dyson V11 Torque Drive
Best Lightweight - Shark Rocket Ultra-Light - Best Lightweight
Best Robot - ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Best Budget - Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum
Best Value - Miele Complete C3
Best for Larges Homes - Dyson Ball Animal Upright Vacuum
Best Design - BLACK+DECKER BDH2400FH 2-in-1 Lithium Stick Vacuum
This is my ultimate guide on the best vacuums for hardwood floors (update 2020).
In today's guide, you'll learn:
- all the best vacuums cleaners for hardwood floors, classified by categories,
- the best features for hardwood vacuum cleaners
In short: if you want to know which one is the best for your needs, you’ll love this new guide.
Before going into details, here are the criterias I took into consideration to choose the best vacuums for hardwoord floors :
The Miele C1 is by far one of my favorite in this list and is the BEST overall.
Because, it is your best ally for hardwood floors and combined with the following features, it makes it the best overall :
- It's a canister vacuum that is sure to work very well on your hardwood floors
- Its "Combination floorhead" is designed to perfectly clean hardwood floors so that it won't harm your floor
- It has high suction power : 1,200 W exactly
- Its price is quite affordable
- It has great rating
Here are additionnal features I identified :
- It's designed to be very lightweight, making the Miele Classic C1 easy to use without a strain.
- It's quiet while cleaning
- It's also very easy to clean out without having to worry about replacing a bag.
- It comes with a unique filter that allows it to keep any harmful allergens contained. It's a filter system that allows you to stay safe as you clean.
To go further...
Considerations & Features: Tools, HEPA Filter, Easy-to-Use
- The tools and attachments included with the vacuum are a dusting brush, upholstery tool, and crevice tool. The design incorporates onboard storage and makes tool-accessing very simple during vacuuming. Focus on the twister floors brush: It rotates completely 180° and is very flexible.
- To make this vacuum more versatile, the handle on the vacuum is stainless steel and telescopic. This means you can easily reach below furniture as well as capture all the dust bunnies from floor to ceiling.
- You can purchase the replacement bags in different types and quantities.
- You can also purchase the HEPA filter for the Miele Hard Floor Vacuum but is not available as a basic option.
- You can operate both the cord drawback button and the power switch with a simple foot tap.
If you're looking for an affordable vacuum cleaner with plenty to offer, the Shark Navigator NV356e is going to be the best choice.
In fact, the price for this complete Shark vacuum is reasonable.
Furthermore, it has the following abilities:
- It offers great suction power that can clean your wood floors in no time at all. And it's no secret that your home collects a lot of dirt and dust. While much of that dust may be able to hide in your carpet, the same isn't true for hardwood floors.
- The Shark NV356e is particularly efficient if you suffer from allergies. Allergens like pet dander, dust and pollen can get into your home and make the problem worse. With the Shark, you'll be able to keep both your carpet and hardwood floors dust and allergen free with just the simple touch of a button.
- It gets better : this Shark vacuum is also a great vacuum cleaner for your carpet. That means you get to pay one price for the versatile Shark, rather than having to find the space and money for several different tools.
The Shark NV356e is really a great vacuum, not so pricy and will eat away just about anything that gets into your carpet or on hardwood floors.
If you want one affordable vacuum for your hardwood floors, easy-to-use and portable, this Shark is a good option.
You don't like bagged vacuum ? Check this great alternative
The Dyson V11 is at the top of my stick vacuum list.
And for a good reason : The Dyson V11 Absolute is an excellent stick vacuum cleaner, suitable for hardwood floors.
Besides, I identified these great characteristics:
- The Dyson V11 Absolute is also a great lightweight vacuum cleaner.
- The Dyson V11 works well on both carpets and hardwood floors. Its battery-powered cleaner is able to remove fine dust and large debris from hardwood floors AND carpet.
- Being a cordless vacuum, the Dyson V11 Absolute is very well suited to smaller homes, or those that have a lot of hardwood flooring.
- The torque cleaner head on the Dyson V11 automatically detects different floor surfaces and switches suction power accordingly to save you run time. The system used is called DLS (Dynamic Load Sensor) which senses resistance at the brush bar - for instances, if you suddenly run from hard flooring onto carpet it will adjust automatically.
- With the Dyson V11 Absolute, you'll be getting one of the most powerful suction systems offered by a cordless stick vacuum.
When it comes to cleaning hardwood floors, the Dyson V11 is a good option : you will be able to maneuver around smaller areas with ease, whether it's on carpet or hardwood floors.
Downside however is the price. This Dyson vacuum is one of the most expensive vacuum cleaner.
To go further...
Considerations & Factors: Tools, Adjustability, LCD Screen
- The cleaner head includes stiff nylon bristles. This helps to get rid of dirt from carbon fibers and carpets, as well as hardwood floors.
- The brush bar spins 60 times per second to efficiently eliminates dirt.
- The V11 LCD screen also informs you when there are blockages, how much time there is left of run time, and sends notifications about cleaning the filter.
The Shark Rocket Ultra-Light is an efficient and lightweight cleaner. The most lighweight from my list.
In addition, here are its key features :
- It has a weight of 8.6 lbs
- It comes in stick & corded style
- It offers versatility in terms of floor-to-ceiling cleaning
- It comes with LED headlights
- It has great cleaning performance
In addition to being the best lightweight, this Shark is powerful and easy to maneuver. With it, you can reach low-lying furniture and sort through hidden spots.
The best part ?
With the Shark Rocket Ultra-Light, you can :
- Convert it to a handheld vacuum to clean small surfaces such as your car or your kitchen storage.
- Clean your hardwood floors or other hard floors thanks to the roller speed which adjusts to control the rotation of the brush.
- Increase or lower speed to handle any upholstered or carpeted surfaces by simply flipping the switch transition from hard to rug without the need for other adjustments.
- Reach baseboards and ceilings thanks to its extendable wand. It reaches the debris under the kitchen and other low appliances. When in hand-vac mode, tackle the dirt in the car and on your staircase.
- Highlight the path you’re working for easy spotting of dust and debris with its glistening LED headlights.
To go further...
Considerations & Features: Heavy Top, 30ft Cord, And Microfiber Attachment
Things get complicated when referring to the standing of this vacuum cleaner.
Simply because all the controls are located on top of the vacuum and in basically unbalanced. This means that any time you leave the machine standing- even for just a second, it will most likely fall to the ground.
Not so great.
But, when purchasing the Shark Rocket Ultra-Light, you’ll notice a variety of attachments and tools are included whereas you can purchase others apart.
- Included :5" Crevice Tool, Pet Multi-Tool
- Not included : Hard Floor Hero, Crevice Tool, Dust-away Hard Floor Attachment
Also, the 30 feet on the power cord is something to keep in mind. It can be very convenient in terms of maneuverability but can be tricky to handle due to its length.
It can become difficult to maneuver when having to reign it back once you’re done with the vacuuming process. Plus, it adds bulkiness to it.
It also has a gentle roller brush that is amazing for capturing any sort of tiny dirt particles and debris. But it can get into a tangle when coming into contact with large amounts of fur, lint, or long hairs.
In this case, the indicator will turn red if there is a jam.
The BISSEL Crosswave is an excellent vacuum for hardwood floor.
But it will safely vacuum and wash your sealed hardwood floor with its all-powerful technology.
This is why this is the best wet/dry vacuum cleaner from my list.
- This vacuum cleaner is excellent for bare floors
- It will wash and vacuum at the same time
- It works on sealed hard floors as well as on area rugs
- It comes with microfiber and nylon brush
- It has two tank system that keeps water clean and formula separates dry debris from dirty water
In terms of operation, this Bissel includes :
- Improved edge cleaning : it helps to clean corners and baseboards
- Self-cleaning cycle : this technology flushes ou debris, dirt and hair after each use.
- Wi-fi and Dash replenishment : you can connect your vacuum cleaner with the applucation to automation the reorder of brushes, formula and filters.
- 3 in 1 docking station : this station stores and charges your vacuum.
To go further...
Considerations & Features: Cleaning Power, Wash/Dry Features, Versatility
The Bissell Crosswave can help you customize your cleaning routine in a few ways.
Since it handily functions as a vacuum and mop, the way you go about using the unit will vary depending on the situation.
In terms of vacuuming, the Bissell Crosswave offers the power to sweep and uses a brush roll. This brush roll has a spinning function which sweeps debris and dirt into the suction path of the vacuum.
The suction capacity of the Crosswave then lifts the debris into the dust bin.
Now comes the mopping portion, which the Bissell Crosswave does exceptionally well.
Once you place the Crosswave on the floor, the brush roll will begin spinning and will provide the water and cleaning solution combination to the floor.
For this step, always make sure you are using the correct cleaners to avoid damage on your hardwood floors.
The ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S is the smartest choice when it comes to robotic vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors.
Indeed, this vacuum cleaner has a max mode, increasing suction power by 2, making it especially efficient on hard floors.
- The ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S is excellent at navigating around furniture in both intricate floor plans and open-plan homes.
- The DEEBOT has excelled in its design to offer superb cleaning on bare floors and carpet alike, especially at a more budget-friendly cost than other robotic vacuum cleaners,
- This robot vacuum cleaner is goot at picking up a variety of debris, including pet hair and dust, leaving your floor effectively clean.
- An advantage of robot vacuum and of the ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S is the size. It uses a lot less space than an upright vacuum.
- You can run it by either a remote or an app on your phone. You can also set up a schedule so that the vacuum will clean at regular intervals.
To sum up ...
From removing pet hair, to touching up smaller amounts of dust and debris in order to leave your home clean, the ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S is an excellent option for those who seek an automatic clean.
No matter whether you use it on carpet or hardwood floors, this vacuum will surely be a beneficial tool in your home.
The Eureka Mighty Mite is a small, canister vacuum that is very good for cleaning up your wood floors and tiles without going over your budget.
This is why I elected it best vacuum for hardwood floor if you are on a budget.
In details :
- The Eureka Mighty is way cheaper than other vacuums for hardwood floors coming in at less than $100
- It is easy to use and easy to carry
- It is very lightweight
- This vacuum is small and convenient
- The Eureka Mighty is especially useful if you live in a smaller home
This small vacuum cleaner is a convenient vacuum, perfect for your hardwood floor and for a budget. You can use it for your home and your car alike.
It comes with a cord of 20 foot long and you can store it easily because has a compact size.
The brush rolls alows to deep clean hardwood floors, dust and pet hair.
If you want to take a look at some other options, you can see my guide to the best budget vacuums.
If you need a vacuum that can do it all and more, I highly recommend you Miele Complete C3.
You can use it for all flooring types as well as homes that have pets.
- The Miele is quiet while cleaning
- You will be able to handle carpets as well as hardwood floors
- The Miele is great for cleaning stairs as well as ensuring complete floor-to-ceiling car
- With the Miele Complete C3, you'll be able to clean pet hair and debris off just about any kind of floor.
- While it may be more expensive than other options, the Miele Complete C3 is designed to be a powerful machine (1200 Watt)
If you have a larger home, the Dyson Ball Multi Floor is a great option.
This is a versatile vacuum, perfect for hardwood floors and with powerful suction, excellent for cleaning large areas.
Many people are familiar with the Dyson name, and there are plenty who swear by Dyson vacuums.
- It's a vacuum that is made to be lightweight, making it easy to use as a multi-floor vacuum.
- As an upright vacuum, the Dyson will have more space to hold debris, pet hair and other unwanted materials that it picks up from the hardwood floor.
The BLACK+DECKER BDH2400FH 2-in-1 Lithium is a stick vacuum with the most beautiful design.
If you are sensitive to design objects, you will love this vacuum.
In small words:
- This device will be able to clean wood floors and wood furnishings
- You will be able to reach difficult areas with the help of its telescoping crevice tool.
- Because it is a battery-powered stick vacuum, you won't have to worry about tripping over a cord or accidentally pulling it from the plug-in.
- It's a very lightweight tool which will make your cleaning tasks much easier.
Also, if you want to clean your hardwood floor the best way, you can check my article : 3 simple Ways to Clean Hardwood Floors (in 2020)
Hardwood Floor Vacuum Buying Guide
Before you start looking at the vacuum cleaners available, you need to understand that these products are not only built differently in terms of quality but also terms of functionality.
We all have different priorities and budget when it comes to purchasing their vacuum cleaner.
My buying guide is designed to help you choose the best vacuum cleaner.
Type of vacuum
There are several types of vacuum, all of which comes with their pros and cons. Due to the several types of vacuum cleaners on the market today, you need to consider the type you want for your own home.
The main type of vacuum cleaners for hardwood floor includes:
This type of vacuum can stand on their own when not being used. These vacuums are a bit heavier and taller than other types of cleaners.
When using this vacuum, you will be pushing and pulling the full weight of the machine around as they are built as one piece.
For the most part, this type of vacuum comes with some of the most powerful suction, and they tend to cost less than canister vacuums.
This consists of the sucking head and body - the sucking head is connected with the engine and filter through a hose.
Due to the separate moving parts, the vacuum is easy to navigate.
The canister vacuum is better than uprights in terms of cleaning the bare floor, under furniture, stairs, and they also boast of handy attachments for cleaning upholstery and drapes.
However, canister vacuums are bulkier, and the configuration makes them harder to transport.
The stick vacuum is similar to upright vacuum cleaners except that they don’t come with all the strong suction power and features.
These types of vacuum cleaners can either be battery powered or corded electric depending on the model.
The vacuums are convenient and lightweight when you need a quick clean up, and they also eliminate the need to bend over to take care of business.
However, most of them don’t perform as well as full sized vacuum cleaners, and the dirt bin capacity is reasonably small.
These types of vacuums do your cleaning for you.
The robotic vacuums is a self-propelled, small machine which is great for daily, quick cleaning.
The robotic vacuums can keep your living spaces tidy and also complement your manual vacuum, thereby lessening your dependence on full-scale vacuum cleaners.
You can create a cleaning schedule with programmable models which include Wi-Fi connectivity and remote control.
Handheld vacuums are compact and you can easily carry them around anywhere in the house.
The best handheld vacuum cleaners are usually battery powered.
And they are suitable for light, quick surface cleaning on the hardwood.
Some of the vacuum cleaners can also handle pet hair cleaning.
Unfortunately, they don’t usually have strong suction power and hardly comes with extra features like separate attachments and extendable hose.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Vacuum for Hardwood Floor
Now that you’re aware of the types of vacuum cleaners for your hardwood floor see a few more factors to consider before you purchase any product.
Among a lot of options, many of the features depend on your needs and home, but we’ll discuss the most important ones.
Bagged Vs. Bagless Vacuums
If you don’t want to be exposed to dust, dirt, and pet dander, a bagged vacuum cleaner may be your best option.
Some vacuums have bags that seal themselves the instance you remove the particles.
Also, bagged vacuums hold more dirt than the bagless models.
On the other hand, you don’t need to buy dirtbags with a bagless vacuum cleaner. Plus, you don’t need to clean the filter in the dust bin with bagless vacuums.
One of vacuum most crucial job is suction.
The best vacuum has superior suction and power quality to ensure that no dirt, dust, or debris is left behind.
Only on few cases will hardwood floors require a vacuum with very powerful suction power so you can get a vacuum with less power.
However, if you will be using the vacuum cleaner for other types of floors, especially carpets, you can opt for the most potent suction.
Corded vs. cordless
Corded vacuums usually have between 20ft and 30ft of cord length, and those on our lists have a decent cord length.
With corded vacuum cleaners, you don’t have to worry about charging your device, and they are usually more powerful.
In contrast, cordless models offer more convenience and freedom than corded units. However, cordless options can be more expensive and don’t provide the same power as corded vacuum cleaners.
If you want to maximize the use of your vacuum cleaner, you may need to take advantage of the various attachments.
There are several convenient sets of attachments that can help you clean all the edges and spaces around your home – this could include sized brush heads, slim edging wand, and a soft suction brush head for areas like drapes, window shades, and mechanical devices.
Some of the best vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors have padding which prevents your floor from scratch and accidental scratch as you set them down and move them around.
The most common padding is rubber padding and felt stripes on the bottom of the vacuum.
Vacuum cleaners’ warranties can vary significantly.
Some vacuums offer 5-year warranty while some others protect your purchase for one to two years.
A vacuum cleaner with a warranty is an indication that the manufacturer is ready to stand behind their product and are confident in the product ability to last a long time.
Price is something you always need to consider irrespective of what you’re purchasing.
No matter your budget, there’s a vacuum cleaner within a given price range for everyone. There are several efficient and powerful vacuum cleaners offered at a number of different price points.
However, if money is not an issue, you can go with the pricier model. But you should know that price is not the ultimate determiner of quality when it comes to vacuum cleaners.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Each Attachments Have A Specific Purpose:
- The motorized nozzle is impressive for vacuuming pile carpets or rugs.
- The crevice tool can help you dust or clean your AC and heating vents.
- The floor brush or wall brush is more suited to bare floors.
- You can use upholstery attachments for fabrics, car interiors, and curtains.
HEPA system is a type of filter system that is completely sealed.
Everything is filtered, including the motor exhaust. This filter handles dust, pollen, bacteria, and other allergens.
And all the vacuum that features this filter is more suited if you are suffering from any form of allergies.
So I recommend you to prioritize this system when choosing a vacuum for hardwood floors if you are suffering from allergies. This system may also help you if you own pets at home.
When Sucking Different Particles, Adjustable Suction Might Be Essential, While Soft Roller Might Be Applicable In Collecting Dander And Hair.
It also helps when HEPA filtration is in the vacuum cleaners.
Soft rollers and microfiber pads are some great features that come with vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors.
While buffering the floor, they help to collect tiny particles.
You need a get-tough approach to remove dirt from the carpet while hardwood flooring requires a gentle approach. So you need to purchase a vacuum cleaner that won’t scratch your floor.
Bagged vacuums are designed to contain all the dust in a bag that you can either dispose of, remove and replace once full. The airflow goes into the bag and is a filter that allows airflow through while keeping dust and debris inside.
In terms of maintenance, bagged vacuums typically need you to replace the bag once it is full of dirt. Due to the two functionalities of the bag serves as a filter as well, once you have the bag replaced, you also replace the filter.
Why would you purchase bagged designs? Well, if you or anyone else in your home suffers from allergies and own pets, these are perfect for you. Mostly because during maintenance you don’t have to come into contact with all the dirt that has been captured.
Bagless vacuums will rely on filters. The filters are essential for the system to function and gives them the suction power necessary to continue to capture debris. It’s important to keep filters in the best shape possible due to this. As the dust particles flow through the vac, it will catch them within the fibers in the filter, keeping them there forever - until you remove and rinse them.
In comparison to bagged designs, bagless can be messier to maintain. The advantage here is to never have to replace a bag, but bagless designs can cause other disadvantages. Dumping the debris collection into the trash bin can become a tedious and even sometimes a multi-tasking situation in order to maintain the dirt and dust contained.
Price is essential to discuss when purchasing any appliance. In terms of vacuums for hardwood floors, you can spend from $100 to $1000.
Are the $1000 vacuum cleaners better than their “cheaper” counterparts? How to select the perfect vacuum cleaner with this broad price range?
Well, I can help you figure that out:
Looking for a vacuum to deep clean floors or are you in need of an everyday cleaning vac?
If power is something you don’t care for (you may need to replace in some years), then less expensive vacuums are OK.
Pricier models will ensure the vacuum does not blow dust and dirt back onto the floor.
Now I Would Like To Hear From You...
I hope you enjoyed my ultimate guide on the best vacuum cleaners for hardwood floors.
Now, I would like to hear from you :
- Which one have you bought ?
- Is it efficient on hardwood floors ? like you expected it ?
Let me know by leaving a comment below.
|Product Image||Product Name|
|My #1 Rated|
Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional
Dyson V11 Torque Drive
Hoover Linx Cordless Stick
Bissell Zing Rewind Bagless
Ecovacs Deebot N79 Robotic
Eureka NES215A Blaze 3-in-1
New Miele Complete C3
Dyson Ball Animal Upright Vacuum
Black+Decker Stick Vacuum