My Top Picks
- Best Overall - Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Best For Carpet And Upholstery - Hoover Expert Clean Detergent Solution
- Best For Hard-Surface - Bona Floor Cleaner
- Best For Tile Floor - Swiffer Wet Spray Starter Kit
- Best For Hardwood Floor - Murphy Oil Soap Wood Cleaner
- Best for Laminate - Black Diamond Floor Cleaner
- My Pick - Best Eco-Friendly - Mrs. Meyers Floor Concentrate
Looking for the best floor cleaners ?
In this comprehensive guide I’ll cover:
- The 7 best floor cleaners of my choice - based on type of floor
- A complete description of these floor cleaners
- The pro and cons of each products
- Lot's more
7 Best Floor Cleaners: My 2020 Review
Do you have a clear idea of what you're looking for ?
For example, you may like coconut scent over vanilla...or you may need 1 gallon because you have a big surface to clean.
You should take these criterias into considerations because they will influence your choice.
On my side, I prefer an eco-friendly or biodegradable option.
But anyway...let's take a look at my list of the 7 best floor cleaners to help you to choose YOUR best option.
(and yes, I have tested them all)
If I had to choose only ONE floor cleaner, it would be the Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner.
Because the Pine-Sol company worked hard on this product to make it the best cleaner for multi-surface.
In more details :
- It works very well on a wide variety of floor types including hardwood, tile and laminate.
- You'll also be able to enjoy that Pine-Sol kills 99.9% of bacteria and germs
- The effectiveness of Pine-Sol makes it a favorite in schools, among housekeeping staff, homeowners and in restaurants.
- The pine scent that has become a strong signature of the product overall ( Oftentimes, this scent is strongly associated with the feeling of a clean home).
- The formula is concentrated so that you can use it on a long period of time.
- From my personal experience : it is very effective on these surfaces : laminate floors, carpet, glass and linoleum (I could not test the other surfaces, because I don't have all the surfaces in my house)
And more than 20,000 positive reviews can't lie.
You can see on the Pine Sol website there are more than twenty thousand reviews for this Pine-Sol cleaner.
And here is a screenshot of all the surfaces you can clean with this cleaner:
Also, as a personal tip:
Because the formula is so concentrated, I recommend you to dilute it when you're cleaning surfaces that are more delicate, like wood. However, in areas that need a stronger touch, like the bathroom, you can feel free to use Pine-Sol at its full-strength.
Personally, when using it, I remember this familiar scent of clean from my childhood.
And it's a real pleasure to clean my floors with it.
You can also find the following other scents :
As a final word: if you're looking for the ideal go-to multifloor cleaner, this Pine Sol cleaner is a great option.
[2020 update] : Pine Sol cleaner is not the old original pine scent anymore.
If you want the original scent, you can contact Pine Sol directly. They will give you the contact of their supplier.
The Hoover Expert Clean Detergent Solution is the best floor cleaner for carpet & upholstery on my list.
This cleaner is a product from the Hoover company, famous for its vacuum cleaners.
The professional grade ingredients formula makes it a powerful product, with lots of positive reviews regarding its effectiveness.
To be more specific :
- The Hoover Expert Clean Detergent Solution works well with ANY steam cleaning machine,
- This cleaning product is able to clean effectively without too much foam, or too bubbly.
- Because it is concentrated, it is a powerful cleaning product. You'll be able to remove sticky dirt and debris as well as pet stains and odors.
- I personally love the linen smell that comes with the formula because it's very mild.
- It is a USA-made cleaning product.
Do you own a steam cleaner to clean your carpet ?
Not a problem.
Thanks to this product, you don't have to use only water anymore. This cleaner is a perfect fit for any cleaning machine.
Personal experience: I once used water + white vinegar with my steam cleaner (because I wanted something more powerful than just water)
The result ?
My steam mop cleaner simply stopped to work (and the worst part : the warranty didn't cover this). In fact, I didn't pay attention to the fact that I had to only use water.
To avoid embarrassing future situations, I wrote the following guide on how to use a steam mop.
So with this cleaner, you'll able to clean your carpet without hurting your machine.
Futhermore, you can use the bottle for more than a year, which makes it an economical product.
The expert clean formula has fresh linen scent. For other scents & properties, you can buy the following cleaners (Of course, all of them are specific to clean carpet & upholstery):
The Bona Floor Cleaner is the best floor cleaner for hard-surface floor.
And for a good reason : The Bona Floor Cleaner is a very powerful and effective product to clean hard surface.
- The Bona floor cleaner has the Greenguard Gold certification. What that means is that it's a cleaner with certifications for low chemical emissions. As a result, this formula is one you can use without worrying about harmful chemicals being inhaled by pets or children. (or if you love eco-friendly products like me).
- You can use the Bona Floor Cleaner on your terrazzo, sealed porous marble, linoleum, vinyl and stone.
- High trafic in the house ? Not a problem : It dries fast.
- You won't hurt your floor with this product thanks to its waterbased formula.
Do you still hesitate between linoleum and laminate floor because of the maintenance?
You don't have to anymore... thanks to this cleaner.
Its a great option if you're looking to clean your hardwood floors - because :
- it's a residue-free solution
- it's a gentle product that dries fast
- it removes grime, dust and dirt. ALL at the same time.
Also, hard-surface are "hard" to clean.
It is a fact : it's often complicated to clean this kind of surface with just water. Before, I was adding vinegar to the water to clean my stone floors.
But that was before.
Today, I clean my stone floors, without worry, with this great product.
Whereas the Swiffer Wet Spray Starter Kit can clean any surface, I elected it best floor cleaner for tile floor.
And I could test by myself that it was particularly efficient and practical for this kind of floor. (This works also for my bathroom).
Also, working with disposal pads, this mop is a good fit for small surfaces : in a big house, you'll spend your time paying and changing the pads.Furthermore:
- It is lightweight
- The no-rinse aspect of this floor cleaner means you won't have to worry about rinsing out the mop or the floor.
- The cleaning solution dries fast.
- It cleans stick and greasy dirt - that you can often find on a tile floor.
- It comes with the Open Window Fresh perfume - but other scents are available.
- This starter kit is very pratical : the handle releases the perfect amount of floor cleaner and the sprayer spreads automatically the solution on the floor.
Regarding the kit, it contains :
- 1 spray mop
- 50 oz of cleaning solution
- 2 disposal pads
So... you don't really need more than that (and you can throw your bucket and your old mop in the trash).
However, with only 2 disposal pads, you will not go far. After 2 uses, you'll need to buy additional mopping pads.
To refill this started kit, you can buy :
- WetJet Cleaning Solution - Sweet Citrus & Zest scent
- WetJet Cleaning Solution - Open Window Fresh Scent
- WetJet Cleaning Solution - Gain Scent
- Swiffer Wetjet Hardwood Mop Pad
- Swiffer Wetjet Heavy Duty Mop Pad
You also have the option to buy reusable mop pads :
Swiffer sells also an alternative WetJet Starter Kit, but with 5 pads & batteries :
As final word, this cleaning solution is a great option for small surfaces such as : kitchen or bathroom, fitted with tiled floor.
Coming with a complete kit, you'll have everything you need to clean your till floor without any other additional options.
If you're interested in this product, here is the official Swiffer quick start guide video from Swiffer official website.
From tables and chairs to cabinet and hardwood floor, Murphy Oil Soap Wood cleaner is a cult favorite for this kind of floor.
- It offers a gentle neutral Ph.
- I enjoy the scent that it leaves in their freshly cleaned home.
- Murphy Oil Soap is available in a variety of different sizes, although most customers tend to favor the gallon size.
- It lasts long making it an economical product
- It contains only 2% of synthetic ingredients, the remaining 98% are made from naturally derived ingredients such as natural perfume or coconut.
Contrary to what the name suggests, there is no oil in this product.
So... why this choice?
In fact, the Colgate-Palmolive company uses pine oil as raw material. But once the basic ingredients are transformed into soap, it looses all traces of the oil.
Also, I don't recommend you to use the product on wood surfaces that may be waxed, unfinished or unsealed.
The reason is simple : this kind of surfaces are water sensitive.
If you apply the product on this kind of floors, you may experience discoloration.
You don't know the state of your floor ?
Not a problem.
You can conduct a test : apply the product on a small area of your floor. If you notice discoloration, this means that your floor either needs refinishing or should be waxed.
Black Diamond Floor Cleaner is a good choice for engineered laminate flooring.
- Because this is a pre-mixed cleaning spray, it's a floor cleaner that you can simply apply to your floors directly, without the need for rinsing after.
- This option is also hypoallergenic, biodegradable and non-toxic.
- The Black Diamond Floor Cleaner formula contains an additive – PS3 (Triple-Action Poly Shield) that stops prevents stains to getting to your laminate floor.
- Specifically made for wood floors, the Black Diamond Floor Cleaner is gentle enough for hardwood and laminate floors, creating a good clean without damaging your floors.
- It's made in the USA.
It is important to me to take a good care of my laminate floors.
Indeed, laminate floors has costed me money and installation time.
And I know that they need good maintenance or they will ternish quickly.
(By the way, if you want to know how I did it, I wrote a simple step-by-step guide on how to install laminate floors).
So... this cleaner is to me a good choice because it provides a well-formulated, necessary product for wood.
To go further, this water-based product is non-toxic, so you'll be able to trust that both pets are children are safe around it.
It also provides a great protective coating to ensure that your floors are clean, shiny and streak-free.
Overall, this floor cleaner is a good choice if you want a good maintenance of your laminate floor.
Here are the types of wood floors where you can use Black Diamond floor cleaner:
The Mrs. Meyers Floor Concentrate is an effective eco-friendly multi-surface cleaner.
Whereas other cleaners - such as the Black Diamond - are also biodegradable, this one is also a cruelty free product.
These criteria being personally important to me, this is the reason why this product is my favorite.
To go into more details :
- You can use this cleaner on your floors, but also on your kitchen appliances, countertops and bathroom fixtures.
- Because the Mrs. Meyers Floor Concentrate uses essential oils that are plant-derived, it offers a fresh verbena lavender scent and is safe around pets and kids.
- This cleaner is also free from phthalates, parabens and other unwanted chemicals.
- This cleaner comes in a small, concentrated bottle. As a result, it takes up just a small amount of storage space and you can add to a little water when you want a gentle clean.
If you don't like the lavender scent, the following scents are also available :
(Personnaly, I love the Geranieum scent).
This floor cleaner is also on the long-lasting products list because of this concentrated formula. Also because it is a multi-surface cleaner, you can clean your : countertops, tables, walls, outdoor tables, kitchen floor and more.
Pretty much any cleaning surface.
To use it, I recommed you to :
- spray the area you want to clean,
- wipe the area with a wash cloth or microfiber mop.
And that's it!
And if you're like me : the ecology and the animals welfare are important to you, you will love this product.
My Criterias To Choose The Best Floor Cleaner
In my home, the floors are challenging surfaces to properly care for (especially because I have kids, pets and high trafic).
And the spills, grime and everyday dirt buildup mean that they need frequent cleaning.
To be honest:
They need daily cleaning.
And there is more.
Compared to other surfaces (such as walls), my floors must last a long time thanks to good care.
This is specifically the case for my bedrooms where I installed first hardwood floor (and changed then for laminate floor).
And as a mother, keeping this part of my house interior clean also helps with avoiding the spread of germs and diseases.
At last and caring about my children's health, I will always choose an eco-friendly product over a standard one.
So you can guess my criterias to choose the best floor cleaner :
- First criteria : Concentrated formula for daily cleaning
- Second criteria : Gentle multi-surface product
- Third criteria : An eco-friendly product
On your side and for the best results, keep in mind that different floor types may require different cleaner types:
- Your kitchen, your bathroom and your toilets need something that can stand up to areas with a lot of bacteria or germs.
- On the other hand, your living room and your bedroom need a gentler cleanser because they are generally built with wood floors.
If you don't know how to determine which types of floor you have in your whole house, I recommend you to use a multi-surface cleaner.
Overall, to choose YOUR best floor cleaner, I recommend that you list your criteria in order of importance.
You can of course use my guide and my classification to help you out.
|Product Image||Product Information|
|Our #1 Rated|
Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner
Oz per Container
Hoover Detergent Solution
Oz per Container
|Best for Hard-Surface|
Bona Floor Cleaner For Hard-Surface
Oz per Container
Swiffer Wet Spray Starter Kit
Oz per Container
Murphy Oil Soap Wood Cleaner
Oz per Container
Black Diamond Floor Cleaner
Oz per Container
Mrs. Meyers Floor Concentrate
Oz per Container
Now It's Your Turn...
I hope you enjoyed my guide on the 7 best floor cleaners.
Now I would like to hear from you:
- Which one is the best floor cleaner according to you?
- Are you using a cleaner that I haven't listed
Either way, let me know by commenting below.