Are you struggling to clean a large office or workshop with a regular vacuum? Is your business space too big to keep clean?
Luckily, a commercial vacuum cleaner can help! These machines are stronger and more economical than a regular vac.
Plus, they’re built for industrial purposes. So they last longer and cover more ground as you clean.
We’ll explore the best commercial vacuum cleaners on the market. We’ll also look at the features you should consider to find the best model for your cleaning needs.
Our Top PicksThe HouseWire earns a commission through the following independently chosen links at no additional cost to you.
This Oreck Commercial Upright vacuum cleaner packs a lot of power in a lightweight vacuum body.
Its lightweight design weighs only 8.2-pounds, so it’s easy to carry around when you’re cleaning large spaces. And it also has a helping hand handle for easy control while you’re vacuuming.
With a high-speed suction of 6500 RPMs, you can power through any tough messes and stains with this commercial vacuum. The double helix brushes spin fast to loosen and lift any ground-in or stubborn dirt on your floor.
Finally, this quality commercial vacuum has a top-fill bag design. So it maintains peak suctioning performance even as the bag fills.
- Wide 12-inch cleaning width path for faster cleaning
- Reviewers note that it provides efficient cleaning across any surface
- Built-in side edge brushes for vacuuming along walls and edges
- Auto-adjusting brush
- Low-profile design
- Doesn’t come with any extra attachments
- Some reviewers mention that it’s not very durable
Commercial vacuums can be a significant investment. But, this Sanitaire Traditional vacuum cleaner is an affordable option for commercial grade cleaning.
It has a polycarbonate hood that keeps the build-cost low but still provides a durable structure. It’s also safe for tough environments, so it’s ideal for workshop cleaning.
Plus, it has a large capacity vacuum bag that can hold up to 18 quarts of dirt and debris before it needs replacing. So you won’t have to worry about interruptions to your cleaning while you vacuum.
And with the 30-foot long power cord, this vacuum has a cleaning range of 4689 square feet. So it’s perfect for cleaning large spaces without needing to keep replugging it into a closer outlet.
- Reviewers comment that it’s lightweight and easy to maneuver
- More than 500 hours of motor cleaning performance
- Low maintenance costs
- According to reviewers, it’s too bulky to clean under furniture
|Bin Capacity||18-quart bag|
3. Best Cordless Commercial Vacuum : Hoover Commercial TaskVac Cordless Vacuum
With no cord to worry about, this cordless Hoover vac provides a lot of freedom. But, without sacrificing commercial-grade cleaning quality.
It’s one of the most compact commercial vacuums on the market. But, its small size doesn’t compromise on power.
This hoover TaskVac features WindTunnel technology for impressively good suction power. It has three air tunnels that work together to efficiently lift and loosen dirt from deep within carpet fibers.
Add to that the power brush roll, and this compact commercial vac provides strong deep cleaning on any floor surface. It’s perfect if you have hard floors as well as carpets in your business.
Finally, this commercial vacuum cleaner comes with interchangeable batteries and a charging dock. You can swap the batteries between charges so you never have to wait to continue cleaning.
- According to reviews, this vacuum cleaner has a quiet operation.
- Reviewers note that the suction is more powerful than most cordless commercial vacuum cleaners
- Bottom release dirt cup for easy emptying.
- Interchangeable batteries
- Some reviewers said their brush roll often cuts out during cleaning
This Prolux 6000 Commercial Upright Vacuum features one-pass cleaning technology so you can get the job done faster.
With 125 CFM of cleaning power, you can enjoy a deep clean with each pass. So you won’t have to waste time going over stubborn spots more than once.
This Prolux commercial vacuum cleaner also comes with specialized tools for dusting, upholstery, stairs, and hard surfaces. So you can use it for cleaning floors as well as walls, furniture, and upholstery.
And with a 40-foot cord, you can clean huge areas without moving any plugs. It also has an added carry handle so you can carry this vacuum cleaner wherever you need to clean without any hassle.
- Advanced HEPA filtration
- One-pass cleaning for faster vacuuming
- Reviews state that the 40-foot cord provides a lot of freedom for cleaning large areas
- It has a heavy-duty cord that some reviewers find to be bulky and in the way during cleaning
- Heavy vacuum cleaner to push
|Included Accessories||dusting, upholstery, stairs, and hard floor tool|
5. Best Backpack Vacuum : Hoover Commercial Lightweight Backpack Vacuum
This Hoover Lightweight Backpack Vacuum is the best commercial vacuum for hands-free cleaning.
It has a harness designed by a chiropractor to reduce back strain. So you can trust that it’s safe and comfortable to use for big cleans.
The backpack unit weighs only 9.2 lbs for easy carrying on your back. This leaves your hands free to clean around office furniture and obstacles with ease.
It’s also one of the quietest commercial vacuums on the market. With only 66dB of noise, you can vacuum in peace without disturbing anyone around you with this cleaner.
Many reviewers also love the exhaust design. It blows the air away from your body while you’re vacuuming for better comfort while you clean.
- HEPA media filter
- Extra-long 48-foot quick change cord
- Comes with a cleaning accessory pack for detail cleaning
- According to reviews, the tools are hard to attach
- Not suitable for high-pile carpets
|Noise Level||66 Db(A)|
|Included Accessories||6″ crevice tool, 11″ turbo floor tool, 2″ dusting brush, and 4″ upholstery tool|
For cleaning both wet and dry spills, this Bissell PowerClean vacuum is the best option on our list!
It has a large area tool that picks up wet or dry messes on any surface. And the high-powered 11 amp motor allows you to clean wet messes straight away.
In fact, many reviewers say that this commercial vacuum cleaner excels at suctioning up liquids in particular. So you’ll never have to worry about mopping up spills before you vacuum!
This Bissell wet and dry canister vacuum also uses two-stage filtration for a deep cleaning experience. This strengthens the suction power of your vacuum for a deeper clean than many other models.
This makes it a great choice if you’re looking for a commercial vacuum cleaner to handle any mess on your floors.
- Suitable for multi-floor cleaning
- Two-stage filtration
- Large 6-gallon dust bag for big cleaning sessions
- Reviewers say that the tools are extremely versatile and can handle any cleaning jobs
- The vacuum hose is stiff to use
- Difficult to empty the dust container
|Bin Capacity||6 Gallon|
|Included Accessories||Crevice tool, precision blowing/suction tool. Precision wet suction tool, upholstery brush, detailing/inflatable nozzle tool|
7. Best HEPA Vacuum : ProTeam Super CoachVac HEPA Commercial Backpack Vacuum
If allergens are a concern for you, you should consider this ProTeam commercial backpack vacuum cleaner.
It’s equipped with a powerful filtration system with four levels of advanced HEPA media filters. This efficiently eliminates more than 99.97% of all dust, airborne particles, and allergens from your floors. So it provides better air quality for your home or office after every clean.
This vacuum cleaner comes with accessories for cleaning large spaces with many obstacles to navigate around. For example, it comes with a Xaver multi-surface floor tool, crevice tool, a telescoping wand, and more!
Plus, it has a vacuum harness so you can comfortably carry it on your back while you clean. This not only frees your hands for cleaning but also takes the pressure off while you’re vacuuming large areas.
It also has an extra-long 50-foot extension power cord. This allows you to clean a wide range of space from one power outlet.
- Operates quietly at only 66dB
- It has a CRI Gold certification for providing better air quality
- 3 x the cleaning capacity of a standard vacuum
- Some reviewers have had to replace the flexible hose on this vacuum cleaner due to a weak connection
- The flexible hose can easily snap off while cleaning
|Bin Capacity||10-quart bag capacity|
|Noise Level||66 Db(A)|
|Included Accessories||crevice tool, Xaver multi-surface floor tool, soft dusting brush, upholstery tool|
If you don’t want the hassle of having to replace vacuum bags, this is the vacuum for you!
This Bissell CleanView Vacuum has a 1-liter bagless dust cup with a multi-level filtration system. And the filters are washable which makes for easy maintenance.
It also has a triple action brush roll that efficiently loosens and lifts ground-in or embedded dirt from your floors. This is perfect if you have a lot of foot traffic in your workspace.
It has a multi-cyclonic suction system that keeps the dirt and dust in the tank and away from the motor. This not only provides good suction, but it helps the filters last longer too.
Lastly, this Bissell Commercial Vacuum has a wide cleaning path of 13.5-inches with a swivel-steering floor-head. This makes it easy to maneuver around furniture and corners while you’re vacuuming.
Read Also our review on the best multi-surface vacuums
- Triple-action brush roll for powerful pick-up
- Scatter-free technology
- Many reviewers enjoy the easy bottom-emptying dust cup
- Many reviewers say that the unit on this vacuum is bulky
- Shorter cord than many other commercial vacuums
|Bin Capacity||1 Liter|
|Included Accessories||pet hair corner tool, pet tool|
9. Best Heavy Duty : Sanitaire TRADITION Wide Track Commercial Upright Vacuum
This Sanitaire Wide Track Vacuum provides the best cleaning power for heavy-duty cleaning!
It has a durable chrome hood that’s built to last and stand up to use in tough environments.
Plus, the motor provides more than 2000 hours of commercial-grade cleaning performance. So you can trust that this reliable upright vacuum cleaner stands up to the demands of frequent commercial vacuuming.
With a 16-inch floor-head, this vacuum has the widest cleaning path on our list! This means you can clean more dirt in each pass, so you can get the cleaning done faster.
The heavy-duty commercial-grade power cord is also 50-feet long for up to 7800 square feet of cleaning range. So it’s not only durable, but it can reach a wide area for cleaning from a single power outlet.
Finally, this vacuum has low-maintenance features such as a tool-free brush roll and belt replacement. Therefore it has low maintenance for easy care and use.
- Durable power cord
- Low maintenance
- It has a large 18-quart capacity dust bag
- Reviewers love the looped handle for easy control while you’re vacuuming
- Belts can break easily
- Doesn’t come with attachments or accessories
10. Best Commercial Handheld Vacuum : BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Hand Vacuum
For commercial cleaning power at your fingertips, this handheld Black + Decker Dustbuster ticks all the boxes. It’s perfect for quick office cleanups or for keeping your workspace tidy between deep cleaning sessions.
It may be small, but this hand vacuum features cyclonic action to provide powerful suction anywhere you need. And the small handheld design makes it easy to carry for spot cleaning or quick cleanups.
It also has a long-lasting lithium-ion battery that can hold a charge for up to 18 months. So you can leave it in your office or workspace and it’ll always be ready to go when you need it!
Plus, it has a rotating slim nozzle for enhanced cleaning in tight spaces or hard-to-reach areas. And the convenient flip-up brush makes cleaning fabrics and soft surfaces a breeze.
- Cyclonic action provides strong suction power
- Small, compact design for easy carrying
- Reviewers say that it charges quickly
- Smart charge technology uses up to 50% less energy
- Some reviewers had trouble with malfunctioning chargers
- Makes a loud buzzing noise when in use
|Included Accessories||flip-up brush and crevice tool|
What to Look For in a Commercial Vacuum
When you’re choosing a commercial vacuum cleaner, make sure you consider the following features.
- A commercial upright vacuum cleaner features an all-in-one design. Commercial upright cleaners usually feel heavier to use. But, they’re generally more powerful than other types of vacuum cleaners. For an example of an upright vacuum, see this Eureka Sanitaire commercial vacuum cleaner.
- Backpack vacuums have a lightweight design and are easy to carry. With a backpack vacuum cleaner, the canister sits on your back so you can clean hands-free. So they’re ideal for use in commercial cleaning business or in the janitorial industry.
- A wet/dry commercial vacuum cleaner can clean a variety of messes including both dry and wet spills. They’re perfect for cleaning up after a storm if a water pipe bursts or for cleaning up after renovations. However, they’re often loud machines so it’s important to consider the decibels when you’re choosing a wet/dry vacuum for your cleaning. See this Vacmaster Wet/Dry Floor Vacuum as an example.
- Handheld commercial duster vacuums are small and portable. They are great for spot cleaning or quick cleanups when you’re on the go. Because of their size, they don’t offer the same power as traditional vacuums do. But, they’re suitable for cleaning small areas with light messes or for cleaning between regular vacuuming sessions.
- Lastly, a commercial canister vacuum has wheels on the base of the vacuum for easy maneuverability. This makes them easy to transport between rooms and surfaces. A commercial canister vacuum cleaner is great for cleaning under furniture or staircases. They also tend to be quieter than other models. Check this model Sanitaire Commercial Canister Vacuum as an example.
Bagged or Bagless
Bagless vacuums have a dust canister that you can detach and empty straight into the trash. This can save you a lot of money because you don’t have to buy replacement disposable vacuum bags.
But, emptying a bagless vacuum cleaner can be a messy task. So they may trigger allergies or asthmatic symptoms for some employees.
They also have filters that need frequent cleaning and replacing. For example, check this bagless Farag Janitorial Vacuum Cleaner.
On the other hand, bagged vacuums carry less risk of dust exposure in the air during disposal.
With a bagged vacuum cleaner you place the sealed bag straight into the trash when it’s full. So the dust, debris, and allergens remain safely in the bag during disposal.
However, they aren’t as eco-friendly as bagless models.
HEPA filters are high-efficiency particulate air filters that go through testing to ensure they eliminate 99.9% of particles (1). This includes all air-borne dust particles that are smaller than 0.03 microns.
These particles can be dispelled into the air during vacuuming. So a HEPA filter helps to contain common allergens such as dust or pollen which may trigger allergies or asthma.
While all commercial vacuums have some type of filter, not all models have HEPA filtration systems. And if allergens are a concern for you, you should consider a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter.
The CRI (Carpet and Rug Institute) leads initiatives surrounding the protection of air quality and extending the lifespan of carpets.
They have a Seal of Approval program that tests cleaning supplies. These tests determine their effectiveness in removing soil without damaging carpets.
Using a CRI-approved vacuum means you’ll extend the life of your carpet and improve the air quality in your business.
So make sure you look for the CRI logo when you’re shopping for a commercial vacuum cleaner. This way, you’ll know that your vacuum cleaner meets the best performance standards.
Tools and Extra Features
Here’s a breakdown of the most common commercial vacuum tools and features.
- Crevice tools make it easy to reach into hard-to-reach areas while you’re vacuuming. For example, underneath furniture or along baseboards and corners.
- If you have tight spaces or above-floor surfaces to clean, you should consider a vacuum with extra wands. These help to reach higher spots and below furniture.
- Specialty floor tools efficiently clean hard floors as well as carpets. Plus, they’re also designed for picking up large debris. This Carpet Pro CPU-2 comes with a professional grade bristle brush for instance.
- A commercial vacuum will often be in use by employees. So the off/on function or non-marking furniture guard should be user-friendly and easy to access.
- An upholstery tool helps to remove allergens and dust from furniture fabric and materials.
- Lastly, dust brushes are perfect for cleaning delicate surfaces, high spaces, or for detailing.
Commercial Vacuums Comparison Chart
|Product||Type||Weight||Cord Length||Bin Capacity||Noise Level|
|Oreck XL Commercial Upright Vacuum||Upright||8.2 lbs||35-feet||N/A||N/A|
|Sanitaire Tradition Upright Vacuum||Upright||12.2 lbs||30-feet||N/A||N/A|
|Hoover Commercial TaskVac Vacuum||Stick||9.8 lbs||Cordless||N/A||N/A|
|Prolux 6000 Commercial Upright Vacuum||Upright||19 lbs||40-feet||N/A||N/A|
|Hoover Commercial Backpack Vacuum||Backpack||9.3 lbs||48-feet||N/A||66 Db(A)|
|BISSELL PowerClean Wet and Dry Vacuum||Canister||16.1 lbs||N/A||6 Gallon||N/A|
|ProTeam CoachVac HEPA Commercial Vacuum||Upright/Backpack||11 lbs||50-feet||10-quart bag capacity||66 Db(A)|
|Bissell Cleanview Swivel Bagless Vacuum||Upright||12.5 lbs||27-feet||1 Liter||N/A|
|Sanitaire TRADITION Wide Track Upright Vacuum||Upright||N/A||50-feet||18-quarts||N/A|
|BLACK+DECKER Dustbuster Hand Vacuum||Handheld||2.6 lbs||Cordless||20.6-ounces||N/A|
Make sure you consider these details before purchasing your commercial vacuum cleaner.
What Vacuum Do Professionals Use?
But when it comes to brands, Proteam, Oreck, Panasonic, and Sebo tend to be the most common choice for professional use.
How Long Do Commercial Vacuums Last?
This is according to the US industry representatives. They base this on the fact that commercial cleaners get more frequent usage.
The European Commission also suggests the same length of lifespan for commercial vacuums. Although they initially assumed in their report that a commercial vacuum has a lifespan of up to 5 years.
However, because of many uncertain assumptions, they report that a commercial vacuum lifespan is around 2 years.